Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450r oil questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450r oil questions

Im looking at buying a 05 450r and the guy has rode it about 15 hours. I was wondering if he didn't maintane it correctly, oil changes value agustments, if it still would be in good condition. Also, if i buy it what is the cheapest oil i could get a away with in it, and do you use the same oil in the trans as motor or different? And how long does it take to adjust the values on this thing and is it easy to do, how often do you have to do it? Can you get away running 93 octane in it? IS all the maintence worth the quad?

Old 01-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

If he only has 15 hrs on it then I would def change the oil right away since there is barely any oil in the case to begin with and it should be changed about every 5hrs or so...as for the valves about 10-15 tanks of gas so you should be fine, but keep a log if you do get it...93 octane is the right octane to use for the bike...the tranny oil is seperate from the engine oil and the owners manual will show how to check and change it, if not let me know and I will tell you(for the engine oil make sure you have the oil filter the correct way when putting it back in or caboom, your engine will be shot)...if you plan on trial riding go down a gear in the front sprocket so it will be more trail friendly...the maintanance def is worth the quad and it really isn't bad just keep up with the bike and maintain it and you will be fine.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 450 is best in the hands of an owner that will be diligent about maintenance......and that doesn't sound like you! I have lots I could say on the subject, but I think I will just pass and suggest that you get a 400EX that can stand a lot of neglect.

Educate yourself about oil: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Old 01-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Trailblazer

is it hard ot adjust the values

Old 01-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

I assume from your signature block that it has the HRC Kit? If so, who installed it? And when? They would have adjusted the valves when they installed the kit (and probably changed the oil as well), or was the Kit installed before the quad was ridden?

I assume you mean he has done no maintenance to date?
It still should be OK with 15 hours on the oil, but you are pushing the risk. How do you know that is a correct estimate?

Why would you want to save a couple bucks on oil? That is the best place to spend money. The engine oil and tranny oil are different. Check the book.

If you have adjusted valves on a quad before this will be no problem for you, or if you are any kind of mechanic. If not, you would be well advised to have the dealer do it.

Overall, the maintenance on this quad is not bad, and well worth the performance.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are lots of posts on the subject of 450R maintenance, oils, etc. Do a search and you will come up with more than you ever wanted to know. I just don't like the "what can I get away with" tone of the post!

Old 01-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

are you really going to break the bank by running a high quality oil in this machine? if the oil is your determinig factor DONT get it. I will say that if you follow that manual , generally, youll be fine but you need to follow it or do better than it suggests. the intervals for the 04/05 are different than the 06/07 engines. i think over time the 04/05 engines (they are oil and water cooled as opposed to later models which are only water cooled), being less volitile, will prove to be more durable and dare i say more 'forgiving'... but if you are not one for manitenance then dont ANY YR... go see a 400EX, raptor or z400...

ive had mine for 3yrs and havnet had any mechanical problems whatsoever. i ride trails, sand, etc and dont have any PROBLEMS with it but it would be nice to have e lower 1st gear and taller 5th or have a 6speed...but thats another topic of discusion that you can do a search on...IMO, the 450R had inherent design flaws- yes but PROBLEMS, NO...other than a heat shield nut falling out...

performance level and maintenance are usually directly proportional to each other; i other words, the more serious you are and get a serious, purpose built bike like the 450 class is intended, then you are going to have to pay attention to maintence a little closer..theve engines turn allot of rpms...its not that hard to change oil, dude..and if you dont want/cant adjust the valves, take it to the shop and they can do it...