Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1987 Honda Foreman Fourtrax

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Honda Foreman Fourtrax

Hey everyone, another new guy here to ask alot of questions...lol
I just purchased the above mentioned ATV. It has 4 brand new tires on it, the engine was just rebuilt, and the starter was rebuilt also....
Whenever I push the start button, the solenoid clicks, but the starter does nothing. I checked (with a multi-meter) and the starter is getting the full voltage from the battery.
The starter doesn't do anything... I tried kick starting it also to no avail. It doesn't seem to be getting any spark. I found some info this morning before I joined the forum about checking different things at the CDI. I really don't want to take it to the dealer, I'd rather fix it myself. I don't know much about ATV's. This is my first. I am mechanically inclined, just most of my knowledge is about vehicles. I'd like to get some wiring diagrams if I could so I could trace it all back (if I need to). The ATV ran fine before the engine was rebuilt (just smoked a little), and the guy I got it from said it turns freely. I go to church with the guy and he guaranteed the engine.... Thank you all for your help.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

Well this is probly what the deal is, you have 4 brush starter. For some reason when you rebuild them they will take out the brushes right away. So that's why your starters not working, you can tell a 4 brush start by the fact that the bolts are on the outside.

Now your no spark prbolem, did the starter gears teeth break off at one time, those teeth will get into the stator and take that out. Otherwise mostlikey the CDI box is bad. But you should at least get the specs to the test the stator first.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: cluby
Well this is probly what the deal is, you have 4 brush starter. For some reason when you rebuild them they will take out the brushes right away. So that's why your starters not working, you can tell a 4 brush start by the fact that the bolts are on the outside.

Now your no spark prbolem, did the starter gears teeth break off at one time, those teeth will get into the stator and take that out. Otherwise mostlikey the CDI box is bad. But you should at least get the specs to the test the stator first.
Why would they take the brushes out???? If they did, shouldn't they be replaced?? The starter teeth never broke off. Can anyone get me some of the specs that you're speaking of. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

When they rebuilt the starter, they would have turned the arnature, and installed new brushes, for some reasone, they wear out the new brushes faster and then the starter doesn't want to work. You can try new brushes again but may just need to buy a new starter.

Which model trx350 do you have a standerd or a D model. One has a fuel gauge one doesn't.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mine doesn't have a fuel guage... The starter hasn't worked since the engine was rebuilt, or since it (the starter) was rebuilt either.

So, I guess I'm going to trace down the spark problem first before I tear the starter off of it. If I can get the thing running (via kickstarting it) then I'll go from there on the starter. Thanks for your help man. I appreciate it. Now if I can find some wiring diagrams for the honda, I'll be in good shape

Old 02-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

Which diagrams do you need?

Old 02-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer

Loose battery cables! Mine does that a couple times a year when a cable gets loose. Click and nothing. Click and nothing. Although kick starting usually works if it's warmed up already.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm needing a wiring schematic. And the battery cables aren't loose. i already check that. I even tried jumping it with my S10 to no avail. And when I try to start it, the solenoid is clicking and the starter is getting power (i check it with my volt meter...)

Old 02-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

none

Old 02-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Will a Honda dealership look at my 4wheeler???? Since it's older I didn't know if they would bother.... I've got a 1987 Yamaha YFM 200 that took an act of GOD for the Yamaha dealership to look at... Thanks for the help, and does anyone have a wiring diagram for my Foretrax. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 1987 Honda Foreman Fourtrax