Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

07 Rancher or Forman???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Rancher or Forman???

Anyone had the chance to ride both 07 Rancher & Foreman?? How do they compare in power?? I was thinking that now the Rancher has efi & is only 55cc less the differance cant be much. Please let me know your thoughts coz I cant make my mind up what to get. The Rancher still isnt released here yet so I cant try before I buy, should be out in next few weeks. I need a machine for work and play!! Cheers all!!

Old 02-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

For die hard Honda fans and utility buyers this will be very hard choice. Another big difference besides power is that the Foreman is air/oil cooled and has two very effective oil coolers while the Rancher is liquid cooled with one radiator. The location of the second oil cooler on Foreman is positioned higher and is protected from most splashing mud. So this feature may give Foreman better resistance from overheating in mud than the Rancher. The liquid cooled Rancher could stay cooler in most other types of trail riding. Just my guess since I have never ridden either quad but could be a factor worth considering.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

i personally think the rancher is a waste of time it lacks so much ground clearance it has 6.5 ouch.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not ridden the Foreman 500. "Sport" utes are not that popular around here and "work" utes are even less popular, so I don't know anyone presonally who has one and I don't even think I have ever come across one out on the trail. But, here are a few more thoughts on the 420......

Here is what ATV Action had to say about the 420: "The engine is a jewel, and it is fast. We couldn't ask for better suspension and handling from a solid axle machine". I think Honda went more in the sporty direction with the 420 than they did the work quad direction......and personally I think that is where the future market lies. Buy some Honda stock now, because this machine is going to sell with its great ride and great price!

I don't see the 420 as so much of a "workhorse", as it is a great trail quad with a very sporty ride. I really think it is closer to the Yamaha Wolverine class (but unfortunately to heavy!), than it is to the "pure utility" class where the Foreman is, although it will no doubt make a better "work" quad than the 350 does.

I think people who are looking for work quad "power" are going to be fooled by the 420's displacement. This engine likes to rev, so it doesn't give so much of a feeling of low end work quad engine grunt, but rather it feels a bit more like a sport quad engine.

So, for light work the 420 will be ok, but for heavy work go with the Foreman...........

Old 02-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

My buddy has an 04 rancher and I have a 06 rubicon . He cant keep up![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cheers for ya thoughts so far all!! Can you tell me what the Rancher and Foremans towing capacity is??

Old 02-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the 07 Fourtrax Rancher and I really enjoy it. My only complaint is the area for
the winch is small and the largest that Honda recommends is a 1700 lb. Moose. The
dealership did not realize that until we went around several times trying to find the
correct mounting plate and winch. There was no way a Warn 2500 lb would fit.
The fuel injection is the big plus with no choking on those cold snowy days.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:40 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baldhead-Just for the record, that 04 Rancher is air cooled and 329cc. The new Rancher is water cooled, fuel injected, and 420 cc's.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOH[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2007, 08:47 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is there specs side by side 500 Foreman vs 420 Rancher I like the 500's 3rd head light ,larger tires,larger gas tank, and more suspension travel,but is that worth the cost difference?

Here is the 500 Foreman in a 500cc utility shootout.

500 foreman in shootout with 4 other ATVs

Quick Reply: 07 Rancher or Forman???