Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!!!!

Can anyone help me? I bought a new handlebar switch ( left side that has kill switch, light switch, dimmer switch, etc.) This is not a genuine Honda part. It said it was for a 400EX or 300EX, but on the 300EX, the wires have to be spliced. I can't seem to figure out how to do it. It starts in not only the run position, but also in the stop positions. Any help with this would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Please help!!!!

Well I will try and help you since no one else is...What are the color on the new harness and what are the colors comin from the new switches you just recieved and do any of the old wires match up with the switch you got rid of.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Please help!!!!

Thanks for trying to help!! I'am pulling my hair out with this new switch. My wiring harness has these colors -
Black
Brown
Yellow with Red stripe
Black with White stripe
Red with Green stripe
Grey with Black stripe
Dark Green with Red stripe
Light Green with Red stripe
I also have a White and a Blue wire on the harness that I have right for the headlight high and low beam that works fine.

These are the colors on the new switch and i'll put what the instuctions say they are for-
Black - Power from Source (Input)
Brown - Power to Taillight (Output)
Yellow with Red stripe - Power from Starter Relay (Output)
Black wit White Stripe - From Kill Switch (Output)
Green - Ground (Input)
Yellow with Green stripe - From Clutch Lever Cut-Out ( Output)

I'll start with this. If there is anything else you need to know, let me know. Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer
Default Please help!!!!

do you have the old switch? even if its broke or non functional. reinstall it... then get some masking tape...and a marker...and a piece of paper for notes..lable( wrap masking tape on it and mark) each end of wire with a # then write where it terminates at..ie: start button wire #2. you will have to lable the terminating end as well and give it a name ie: #2 starter relay....
ok once you have it all labled up...and you have notes of where each wire goes....the stock one can now be removed.... leaving labels intact. take your new switch gear and lable it and copy it...with separate notes. I use this method to rewire entire vehicles...it ought to work for you.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Please help!!!!

I do have the old switch but it doesn't help me at all. The old switch and the harness fried. The wires that are on the old switch have all burnt or melted covers and I can't tell any colors of the wire jackets. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Old 03-31-2007, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default Please help!!!!

I will go out tom and look at my Honda 450r to see if I can match up any of the colors hoping that maybe they used the same colors for my quad, but I would match up whatever color you have the same as and I would think that you can find where the color of the clutch wire can be seen by the lever...That is stupid are you sure they just din't give you the wrong harness...Hopefully Honda mechanic will come in here or someone with a 300ex.