Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

81 ATC 200 questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007 | 06:35 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 81 ATC 200 questions

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and also just became the owner of my first trike. I bought it for $200, it runs strong but blows a lot of smoke. I figure it needs a new top end, not a big deal. I'll have pics on here in a couple days. It's a little rough, but a good project none the less. I wanted to ride it today, but I pulled the pull cord right out of it and can't figure out how to get it to wind back up to get back on. I use to think I had some mechanical ability until a few hours messing around with this thing. I plan on getting a manual sometime soon, but until then could someone help me out with this little issue I'm having. Basicly everytime I try to put it back on it unwinds before I can get it mounted. I thought I was turning it the wrong way but the other way does not recoil at all. Thanks in advance for any help

Old 04-10-2007 | 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you end up getting a manual for your trike? I bought an '82 200 a few months ago for $150. It doesn't run and needs a lot of work, but I have no manual which makes working on it tough for me...I'm a chick and totally not mechanically gifted. LOL.
If you got a manual, would you mind telling me where you found it? I've been looking but haven't had a great deal of success thus far.
Thanks
Melanie

Old 04-10-2007 | 08:37 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

My manual came in today, didn't get home in time to get it. You can find them on Ebay, or numerous web sites. I got mine from my local honda dealer. They had to order it but it only took about 5 days to get here, cost me $27. Good luck with yours, let me know what you find out.

Old 04-18-2007 | 10:21 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Got it fixed, about time. Just read the manual and TADA!! Now to rebuild the rest of it!!

Old 04-18-2007 | 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's so awesome! Good for you. I did find one on the net. Long story. I'm in the process of moving, sold my house, bought another one, don't take possession until July 8th. So, I have time. The manual is on order. I am thinking that when it comes in I should be moved in and able to work on my newest baby. I will take some pics once I get them and post them. LOL. I also have a 2000 CR125 which I am madly in love with! It's jealous of the Three Wheeler.
I'll totally msg you if I have some questions once I get the manual and am in the process of rebuilding/fixing.
Thanks for the updates. Keep me posted, and send me some pics!
Melanie

Old 04-18-2007 | 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

you will have to pull the engine from the frame to re-do the top end. I would recommend new valve seals, piston/rings, hone the cylinder, new cam chain, and gasket set. My buddy has a '82 atc 200 that started smoking very badly, turned out to be bad valve seals, they get hard and crack. we did all the above work to his and it has so much compression now that only he can start it, it will pull your arm out of socket if you dont do it right. good luck

Old 04-18-2007 | 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh great, remember, I'm a girl! You're going to kill me with this type of advice! Honestly, the guy I bought it from thought it needed a new coil b/c he couldn't get any spark when he pulled it. Lo and behold, I brought it home, bought a spark plug for it and had spark immediately. However, in the interim, I've broken the pull start rope, broken up with my bf, got the trike back in pieces (it was sitting out at his mom and dad's acreage where we were working on it), and haven't had a chance to work on it again.
Turned out, the throttle cable was stuck in the carb, so ( according to my bro, my unsticking things expert) I used pickling vinegar to "unstick" it. The float now moves freely, just had to buy a new throttle cable (installed the wrong one initially - put the one for my dirtbike in by accident) which I still need to install. I just temporarily put the fenders, tank and seat back on for transport. Once I get possession of my new home I will get it into the garage and start over with all this stuff. It's a long drawn out process but, right now, the one bright star in my life. So, I'm looking forward to ripping it apart and getting it put back together and running right. Can't wait for my Clymer to show up!
Mel

Old 05-28-2007 | 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, I took the pull starter apart this weekend b/c we had ripped the cord while attempting to start the trike earlier. I pulled it apart, rebuilt it the way they said, it pulled out fine, no sticking, and was slow to go back in (I'm guessing due to a weak spring b/c it was weak before I took it apart already) and put it back on the bike. Now, when I try to pull it it's like trying to lift the bike with one arm. Do you have any idea of why this would be? Have I done something wrong when putting it on the bike or something?
As a side note, the fan that is attached to the bike and not the starter housing which I removed and rebuilt, would turn clockwise when the housing was off but would not seem to want to turn counterclockwise. When I pull on the starter it is attempting to turn the engine counterclockwise. So, I'm wondering if I need to take more apart to see if something is stuck? It shouldn't be stuck b/c it will turn the other direction.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Melanie