Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

atv / water

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv / water

CAN RUNNING AN ATV IN WATER OVER THE EXAUST PIPE
GET WATER IN THE MOTOR OR WILL IT JUST DO THIS IF IT DIES.

IF ONE DOES DROUWN OUT WHATS THE BEST WAY TO GET THE WATER OUT ?

Old 04-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default atv / water

as long as you keep it running your fine but if it dies then you got water problems. When my dad drowns his, we pick up the front end and rest it standing up on the rear rack (remember to turn the gas off) and we let all of the water run out of the exhaust, we leave it sitting like that for like 3 minutes. After that we set it back down and check the airbox for water, if there is you pull the drain on the airbox. Also if the filter is wet, try to dry it. Then we check the oil every couple of minutes to make sure its not like a milky white. If its not then we start it, run it for about five minutes, check the oil again, and if it is white this time we tow it back to whereever we're staying, then we buy really cheap oil, and change the oil three or four times. Just untill the oil is not white anymore. Then your fine.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default atv / water

idk about all that settin the thing upright and checkin the oil constantly--i rolled my 250ex down a hill into about 3 ft. of water. thing settled upside down and died out. i just ran down and rolled the thing over quick, hopped on, kicked it into neutral and it started right up and ran fine--had it blowin bubbles pleanty of times prior to that--worst that could happen from flooding is you kill ur battery tryin to turn it over or you got a whole lotta pull/kick startin to do until all the water clears out ur carb

Old 04-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Trailblazer
Default atv / water

I have seen a 00 Foreman get flooded in water to the handle bars. His oil got water in it so it was a tow in and oil change. Had to change the oil a few times and replace spark plug and allow air filter to dry.

Luckily I have not had it happen yet.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default atv / water

well if you flood it and the water gets in the oil adn you run it for a while without changing it, you can destroy you sleeve, piston, and whole valve train. I think thats a little worse than a bad battery

Old 04-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default atv / water

If you drown it and water goes up the exhaust pipe or you suck water into the intake, you can get water in the combustion chamber. I have seen this happen, and the expanding steam from the boiling water froze the piston in the down position with both valves closed. The engine would not budge. We had to take out the spark plug and release the pressure, otherwise we would have had to sit around for hours waiting for the engine block to cool and lower the pressure, so it could turn over and start.