Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

I need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All right I posted about 2 month's ago that I had been having trouble with my 250r's chain coming off.I got no help.Well it hasn't happened since but I have only rode it twice for 2 short periods of time.

My dad wasn't wanting me to be in the middle of a moto and my chain come off.Therefore he thinks I need a whole new swingarm and carrier.Well I thought We just replaced the stock one with a lone star unit.But apparently not he said he repalced the bearing and seals in the stock carrier.And polished it up real nice.

Any way after christmas and I use up all the gas we have for it.He wants me to take the motor out to replace the clutch shifter side sidecasing and to remove the swingarm.And I know my dad it will be apart till next year this time until he gets in gear and buys new stuff to fix it.

Now does anyone have experience with aftermarket swings and bearing carrier's.I need a 88 stock 88 lenght swingarm setup for an 86 frame.Either leager's,aren's or CMP.CMP is a swingarm made by a guy that worked at leager's for years and then went into business on his own.ANd what about bearing carrier's.

ANy help would be greatly apprecieted

moded out 86 trx250r
97 300ex
90 blaster

www.geocities.com/atvracerman1/picpage1.html

Old 12-22-2000, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can put a 88 swingarm on a 86 frame. But, you must also change to a 88 shock. Which is about 1 3/4 in shorter than the 86 shock. You must also change to the short dogbone, the whishbone are the same for all years. This is why you do not see swingarmsmade for the 86 frame very often, just the 88 and 89.
Call Brian up at Gateway and he will explain it all to you.

Old 12-22-2000, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

We went to gateway tonight to gey my christmas presents and that is when my dad and joe got to talking about swingarms.Brian wasn't there just Joe and some kid that I don't know.I talked to brian a long time ago about it and he said that CMP makes 88 lenght swingarms for 86 frames.I have an 88 shcok already.It is a white bro's white power that came off of a 88.The shocks I have where for sale at gateway for along time I don't know if you saw them in there case or not.

Every time I see ryan's 250r I want it more and more! Hey what size cylinder is he running?IT is a CT cylinder.Are you going to race at the TWA dome?

Old 12-22-2000, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Come on someone must know something!

Old 12-23-2000, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yhis is something that most people don't or haven't messed with. Just some of us old timers. If you have a 88 shock you must go with a 88 swingarm and dogbone to get the correct height and full amount of travel. I have tried mixing them and this is what I found out what works.

Old 12-23-2000, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

I want an aftermarket swingarm.Not a stocker.I want more strenght and better handling.But one thing I don't understand when you put an 88 swingarm on a 86 what happens to the rearmost motor mount that hooks to the frame in between the swing arm.I know the 88's don't have them.(I think they make what I want an 88 lenght swingarm for an 86 frame.Leager's has to make one.

And as far as carrier's go I think I am going to get a dualrow lonestar.

Hey tpretender got any pics of your qauds?

Old 12-23-2000, 02:54 AM
Range Rover

I know this may sound stupid but is your chain properly adjusted? Stretched? If it's out of adjustment adjust it if it is too stretched get a new one.

Old 12-23-2000, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

No it is not a stupid question.But yes it is adjusted properly and not that old of a chain so I doubt it it stretched.I only haveing the problem when hiting big bumps(not jumps)and sliding sideways.