Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Mud Tires For Recon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2000, 06:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys recommend? Are the Maxiis Sur Traks a good choice. I'm a little afraid of going to a 4 ply because of the sacrifice in ride qaulity. Kenda Rampage looks good too.(4 ply tho)
Any input is appreciated!
Max

Old 12-22-2000, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Sur Traks are 2 ply. If you want to use the stock rims on the Recon you choices are limited. One note on the Sur Traks are they are a little shorter than advertised, however the traction on the tire off sets this. Our recon can go many more places now with out getting stuck.

Old 12-22-2000, 07:57 PM
Trailblazer

you should look at super swamper tsl's

Old 12-26-2000, 08:43 AM
Trailblazer

snowshark, can you tell me if the ride on your recon became stiffer after installing the sur traks? was the handling/cornering affected due to more aggressive tread? thanks for your help.
maxtrax

Old 12-26-2000, 09:19 AM
Range Rover

You have several choices. I am looking for tires for the Recon myself. We just got some Dirt Devils (which have a 6 ply rating)for the Beartracker and they seem to be a very good tire, the Bear climbs and pulls much better now. I have eliminated the Sur Tracks due to the 2 ply rating. An alternative to them would be the ITP Spider Trax. They have a 4 ply rating but some say they are an outdated design for a strictly mud tire. If you want to spend some big bucks you could go with the ITP Blackwaters. They come in a 22x12.5x9 that will fit the Recon. But they cost on average of $20 apiece more then the others. Personally I like the looks of the Mud Sharks and right now they are at the top of my list, the only thing keeping me from buying them right now is they are an inch shorter then the stock tires. They would cause a slight loss in top end speed and 1/2 inch of ground clearence. I havn't decided if that is enough to keep me from buying them.
Good luck and let me know what you get.

Old 12-26-2000, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Maxtrax,

The handling changed a little after we added the Sur Traks. Before you could really slide the rear end around, you can still do it but its not quiet as easy. Must be the increased traction of the sur traks. Didn't really notice a stiffer ride from the tire. The new tires allow my wife to go more places than before. One feature of the tire, maybe its a feature to all mud tires, but you can reverse the direction of the tire for use in snow. We are going to ride in the mountains this upcoming weekend & try them in snow.

Old 12-26-2000, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just got a set of 21x12x9 mudsharks for my recon havent got them on yet do to not having a tork rench but they look like they are going to be alot better than the stockers.

'99 Recon Baja Skidplate
21-12-9 MudSharks

Old 12-27-2000, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

PsychoRecon,

I agree with you in that the stock tires are not very good on the Recon. Let us know how those mud sharks work out.

Old 12-27-2000, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK today was the test i bolted on my mudsharks tight but not to tight. they seem to work beautifully, they dont make that annoying humming sound my old stockers did when riding on the road. They hooked up great when i wanted them to and slid around just as easily. They are 21 instead of 22 inch though that doesnt seem to make a difference. after inflating the tires they werent that much shorter than the stocks. I love having them in the awesome snow i can get threw all the snowbanks with no challenge now.

Old 12-28-2000, 06:50 AM
Trailblazer

Psycho, are those mudsharks a 4ply? How about the ride, is it stiffer? thanks
Maxtrax

Quick Reply: Mud Tires For Recon?