Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

dual oil coolers on a 400ex

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007 | 03:24 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default dual oil coolers on a 400ex

ok, we got a 460 BB stroker and were about to go to the dunes in oregon, and I dont want it blowing up, if I were to stack 2 stock 400 oil coolers in series would there be any problem with the oil pressure or anything, sems like a no to me but just want to make sure I wont be doing more harm than good.

Old 04-13-2007 | 09:19 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Every time I go to Oregon dunes, even in summer it's freezing cold. Cold winds howling off the ocean. Can't imagine needing one oil cooler there, much less two.

If you are concerned about it maybe running hot, run Maxima Extra ester synthetic oil for an extra margin of protection. http://www.maximausa.com/technical/l...beNews2002.pdf

Old 04-13-2007 | 05:33 PM
|
Trailblazer

I just know that it makes alot of power and it runs hot, and last time we were down there it was pretty warm, never got HOT but it did get hot now and then. and when that breeze did come up and blew through the quad I could feel it come out the other side of the quad against my leg and that was HOT. and it was about the same time of the year we are going this time.thing is its not really my quad.... yet... and I really dont wanna blow it up before I even buy it from the guy. I dont think it would be a problem, when I thought it was getting a little warm Id put it in 5th and go for low RPM cruises in a styraight line and let lots of air go thorugh without any revs to try and cool er down a bit. but when it was a 440 someone took it out and rode it full throttle all day long and blew it up, now since its not mine yet I cant say who can/cant ride it so this might hapen again and I dont want it to blow up period, especially someone else start the process and me finish it. and I know you cant make anythying idiot proof and no matter how much cooling someone can blow it up but I was looking for some security. oil in it is castrol R4 superbike full synthetic right now, would that maxima stuff really be any better?