ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Honda (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/)
-   -   All 400EX and Rancher owners (https://atvconnection.com/forums/honda/265778-all-400ex-rancher-owners.html)

whaleedited 04-30-2007 10:49 PM

All 400EX and Rancher owners

Originally posted by: duster
Hey dudes, and dudettes if it applies...

I got a bone to pick with you all.

First I find out from a buddy that he thinks now the 400EX has reverse.
I look on Honda.com and sure enough.

So I decide I'm going to go down to the closest Honda dealer.
I wanna check out the 07's.
I want to see this 400EX and I'd been wanting to see the Rancher 420.
My 300EX buddy wanted to go too so he could see the changes to the 300EX for '07... his is near death.

So off we go.

We get there and find that they have no 400EX.
So we look at the 300EX... nice new reverse setup... nicer plastics and looks (other than the headlight).

Then we go look at the Ranchers.
Man, I gotta hand it to them, they are nice machines like I thought they would be.

The UTE is what I'd want my wife to want and be able to drive though.
The side plastics... perfect stuff...

As has always been the case, I want shifting and engine breaking.
She wants automatic. (gag)

So I ask if they have ever upgraded the Rancher AT to the 420 platform.
The guy says no, but takes me to look at a Rancher AT anyways.
I'm floored to learn this thing has a freakin switch to change it from AT to ESP.

How come I didn't know that? Perfect!

So anyways, I thought these 3 topics (400EX reverse) (new 300EX reverse shift) (Rancher AT ESP) would have been hot topics.
So what is the deal here? Have I totally not even surfed here near enough?
Or have you guys just not been talking about the good stuff?

Anyhow..... I got nothing but time for the Rancher purchase.
I can wait until '08 to see if there is a Rancher 420 AT with the ESP switch, no problem.
And if not, I'll plan it and con her into a trip to the Honda dealer....
Where she will be conned into a test drive of the Rancher ES.... LOL (who can't push a button?)

But I would like to know a lot more about the reverse addition on the 400EX

The dealer didn't have any. So I want to know what it's like and make sure it's no stupid setup like the old 300EX was.

Plus, I'd also like to know what year this happened?
I have plenty of shopping time, so I'd like to know what year when I'm browsing used ones.

I'd actually like one with the old plastic and reverse... if their is a such thing.
Reverse is for sucks

duster 05-01-2007 12:11 AM

[i]Originally posted by: whaleeditedbymoderator

Reverse is for sucks
???

Anyways, my question to you is, does your 2004 400EX have reverse?

whaleedited 05-01-2007 10:52 PM

No, it has a grab bar.

duster 05-01-2007 11:44 PM

Originally posted by: whaleeditedbymoderator
No, it has a grab bar.
Thanks man....

But CRAP!

I was hoping reverse was added by atleast 2004 or earlier.

#1 - Gives me more reverse equipped used model year options.

#2 - I haven't seen the new look in person, but I'm thinking I might even prefer the old plastics.

A grab bar is cool and all when your back is still 100% and you're never hauling a passenger.

I hurt my back pretty bad a couple off times, both of which put me off quads for a long time. Now that I have been able to get back on, I'm in no hurry to mess it up again tugging on a 400 lb machine because I can't make a turn in the tight woods or something. NOT WHEN REVERSE IS AN OPTION. Plus I have an 8 year old that loves to tag along behind dad... and it's a pain in the arse to dismount us both, drag the quad around and saddle back up. I'm always concerned with her burning her leg or something stupid like that it the process.

So I'd been considering only the ArtiKawiZukis until I found out they added reverse to the 400EX.

whaleedited 05-02-2007 07:49 PM

Sorry , for years everyone ripped on the 400 ex for no reverse and I got sick of it. I didnt mean to take it out on you.
2005 was the first year with reverse for the 400ex. If you buy a used one make sure its had the recall done,there was a problem with reverse on some 400's. Honda should fix it for free. I wasnt too crazy about the new plastic,but it grows on you ,I dont mind it now. You should be able to put the old style plastic on the newer quads if you want.

duster 05-03-2007 01:37 AM

I'm probably semi-guilty myself.

Waaay-back in the early years of the 400EX, I was critical of the lack of reverse.
But I'm sure the ripping you speak of is what came along after the Z400/KFX400/DVX400 release.

Anyways, the reverse is more important to me than the plastic.
I've just always thought the old 400EX plastics made it one of the best looking ATV's ever.
I dig the "baja" look of them.

Since I will be looking at used machines first, should I happen to run across a great deal on a 2004 or older, I might still buy it anyway. Just depends on what carries more weight at the time... convienence of reverse or a deal good enough to tempt me.

Jaywiz43452 05-09-2007 01:12 AM

05 was the first year for reverse on the 400ex,I have a guy down the street with one,Also you can put the old plastic on the new 400s if you bust yours up or like the old stuff better(i sold him a spare set i had and he puts it on when we go to our local hill climb spot)just in case of a roll over,it fits perfect!