Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

All 400EX and Rancher owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All 400EX and Rancher owners

Hey dudes, and dudettes if it applies...

I got a bone to pick with you all.

First I find out from a buddy that he thinks now the 400EX has reverse.
I look on Honda.com and sure enough.

So I decide I'm going to go down to the closest Honda dealer.
I wanna check out the 07's.
I want to see this 400EX and I'd been wanting to see the Rancher 420.
My 300EX buddy wanted to go too so he could see the changes to the 300EX for '07... his is near death.

So off we go.

We get there and find that they have no 400EX.
So we look at the 300EX... nice new reverse setup... nicer plastics and looks (other than the headlight).

Then we go look at the Ranchers.
Man, I gotta hand it to them, they are nice machines like I thought they would be.

The UTE is what I'd want my wife to want and be able to drive though.
The side plastics... perfect stuff...

As has always been the case, I want shifting and engine breaking.
She wants automatic. (gag)

So I ask if they have ever upgraded the Rancher AT to the 420 platform.
The guy says no, but takes me to look at a Rancher AT anyways.
I'm floored to learn this thing has a freakin switch to change it from AT to ESP.

How come I didn't know that? Perfect!

So anyways, I thought these 3 topics (400EX reverse) (new 300EX reverse shift) (Rancher AT ESP) would have been hot topics.
So what is the deal here? Have I totally not even surfed here near enough?
Or have you guys just not been talking about the good stuff?

Anyhow..... I got nothing but time for the Rancher purchase.
I can wait until '08 to see if there is a Rancher 420 AT with the ESP switch, no problem.
And if not, I'll plan it and con her into a trip to the Honda dealer....
Where she will be conned into a test drive of the Rancher ES.... LOL (who can't push a button?)

But I would like to know a lot more about the reverse addition on the 400EX

The dealer didn't have any. So I want to know what it's like and make sure it's no stupid setup like the old 300EX was.

Plus, I'd also like to know what year this happened?
I have plenty of shopping time, so I'd like to know what year when I'm browsing used ones.

I'd actually like one with the old plastic and reverse... if their is a such thing.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I bought 2 05 Rancher AT's brand new... If I knew what I know now back then I never would have done it. For Starters they are seriously under powered for me. Although the new 420 setup has almost twice the horse power with the liquid cooled engine it still has the Honda Matic Transmission, it is a complete piece of chit and I have had nothing but problems with it. Right now the case is busted apart and laying on my garage floor. All I need now is the 1500 dollars honda wants for their wonderful non serviceable, replace only tranny unit. Once I get it all back together it will be sold. I will say I did love the way it handled, being one of the very few strait axle utes out there it is very very agile on the trails. I have never been a huge fan of the IRS but it looks like I will get used to it sooner than later. I am sure you will hear a ton of other opinions, that is just my 2 cents [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2007, 03:54 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We did all these topics to death months ago when the new models came out...you obviously missed out.

The reverse mechanism on the 400EX is just the same as the newer 300EX that you looked at. Think about it. Maybe there is a good reason they don't have any 400EX's....some savy buyers snatched them all up!

My 400EX is 8 years old and beaten. My buddies wife bought a new one last weekend, and I spend some time on it. Even though it is a little down on power by todays standards, it is still one real sweet handling machine. Hands down the best tight trail quad of all time (and second place goes to the 300EX)!

The Rancher 420 is way more than I ever hoped for! Fast and plenty of power. Fairly sporty with good suspension. I do wish it were lighter.

I would avoid the AT. What's the point in this machine???? It's way down on power and the automatic trans is just a crutch for those who don't want to learn to shift. Your wife can learn to shift an autoclutch manual or ES (if you insist) in less than an hour.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:58 AM
Pro Rider

So you are saying the AT transmission that sounds like such a great idea hasn't been to friendly to you huh?

Maybe I should not worry about it then and just plan on the "con" after the baby is born?

I think she can handle the regular one with the ESP shift buttons if she is conned into trying it.

I like the 420 way better anyways... and I think she'll like the plastics down the sides much better too.
No worries about burns and stuff.

In the past, I've just put off and put off on this whole thing because she wanted an auto.
Me figuring how little she'd ever actually drive it... I had little interest in the belt drives, and knew nothing about the honda AT really.

Up until just the other day, I was figuring on a Yamaha Ute because I hear their engine breaking is good.

I like the 420 enough though that I want to try the con... LOL...

Old 04-29-2007, 04:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
We did all these topics to death months ago when the new models came out...you obviously missed out.

The reverse mechanism on the 400EX is just the same as the newer 300EX that you looked at. Think about it. Maybe there is a good reason they don't have any 400EX's....some savy buyers snatched them all up!

My 400EX is 8 years old and beaten. My buddies wife bought a new one last weekend, and I spend some time on it. Even though it is a little down on power by todays standards, it is still one real sweet handling machine. Hands down the best tight trail quad of all time (and second place goes to the 300EX)!

The Rancher 420 is way more than I ever hoped for! Fast and plenty of power. Fairly sporty with good suspension. I do wish it were lighter.

I would avoid the AT. What's the point in this machine???? It's way down on power and the automatic trans is just a crutch for those who don't want to shift. Your wife can learn to shift an autoclutch manual or ES (if you insist) in less than an hour.
I'm off the YFZ. I'm getting a 400 class quad... NUFF SAID.
One day back on a 300EX helped me make that decision.
I want to go back to a trail quad, but get more power than the 300EX if I can.

Thinking REAL STRONG on the 400EX too since it has had reverse added. (what year did this happen guys?)
I just haven't decided on which cooling method I prefer.
I think I prefer air/oil cooling for the simplicity, but not enough to feel that liquid cooling is not great too.
It will probably just come down to what deal I run across.... new or used.

As for the Ute quad, me I'd rather have a regular old foot shift and I like this darn Rancher 420... I mean what's not to like?

My wife could also learn to use a foot shift in no time just like you said.
That's not this issue though... the issue is she won't... she won't try.

Heck, for that matter I could buy her a dream car... but if it was a stick, it would sit there... she's that stubborn about it.

So I'm hoping the side plastics on the Rancher, the ES shift buttons, and the big con will get her to "try"............

I think that's all she needs to do is try.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:41 AM
Red Rider

See if you can test ride an ES somewhere.

Guess I've been lucky with women. Everyone I have dated has thought that autos were for sissies.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:07 AM
Red Rider

The other choice in a 400 class machine is the Z400 Suzuki. I just sold one! It is a good all-around machine, but I didn't like it as well as the EX for technical trail riding. The Z's engine likes to rev, so there was a lot of clutch work necessary when riding the slow technical stuff....gets old fast! I also have a 450R for riding fast in the open desert, so the Z just didn't really have any niche to fill in my stable....except as a loaner quad for my friends.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:38 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts

The 400ex came out with reverse in the 2006 model. I bought my wife one last year.
She used to ride a 250ex, 5 speed auto clutch, and when I got her the 400ex she thought she would keep the 250ex for trail since it didn't have a clutch. After trail riding the 400ex a few times she sold the 250ex.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

stay away from the rancher at!!!pos!! just get the es version of the 420.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Range Rover

yea 400ex loks alot beter this year than an other. they made it look like a 450 now.

Quick Reply: All 400EX and Rancher owners