Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Here's one to think about

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's one to think about

Cluby -
I tried a good shift switch assembly on the handlebar, a different meter, shift motor, ECU, all known good and the unit has no shift still. The green wire grounds to the frame were good.
I am starting from square 1 again. This time with all connectors clipped together and back-probing each one. Seems like I am not getting contact somewhere down the line and I must have missed it

----- G -----

Old 05-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sure do have a good one there, make sure that you turn key off and on a few times cause it will make it not work if it just sits with the key on. Have you charged the battery lately, or connect a charger to it see if it wil shift then.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

I made a diagram of the entire shift wire system and highlighted it as I checked it. Checked everything for continuity and voltage on each side of each connector. Plus I installed a new speed sensor (new out of a honda package). Everything checks out again. All grounds are good. What has me baffled is in my old 450 manual, they say to remove the 5 prong connector from the ECU, turn the key on and check the big red/yellow and black/orange for power. There is no power noted this way. With the ECU 5 pin connector connected and these 2 wires probed (the method shown in the newest 450 manual covering years from the beginning to end of that model ), power is noted. Wish they would make up thier mind which way is correct.
I think I will cross check the gear position switch. It shows continuity in R, N,1, and5th. I am going to cross check it for continuity of those wires while in 2,3, and 4th position. I also checked the ignition switch which tested good.
I'm baffled

----- G -----

Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know which connetor on the ecm they are talking about and it shoud be the same wires that come from the relay in the back, Have to look myself today at work

Old 05-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

This whole wheeler is acting wierd. hehehe
I believe I found it. When checking the gear position switch, it is in spec. Trick here is to leave it connected for a few more seconds than just to note a reading.
I had it in 5th checking the switch with my Blue Point meter on beep function for continuity. My other half popped into the shop and asked if I wanted a midnight snack ( food ). When I walked back to the meter, beep mode was going crazy.
I checked each terminal in their perspective gear and left the meter on for more than a few seconds. With beep mode off, the readings start going nuts, from open on, just flashing misc numbers. The gear position switch is shot.
Must have collected condensation in it this winter and froze. Ruined it.

Well, its my birthday so I better get a gettin'.

Let you know when the gear switch cures the problem. I have a few races with the sprint this weekend so I'll be working on set-ups and gearing on it for the next few nights

later....

----- Gregg -----

Old 06-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

Looks like the shift problem was the gear position switch. After new gear position switch, install the shifting works. Although there is another problem. The meter still only reads -- in second, third, and fourth. New angle sensor did not cure the problem. Most likely a bad cpu in the meter.
Oh well, for now it shifts. Time to ride !!

----- gregg -----

Old 06-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Pulled the meter apart cleaned the board wiggled the cpu on the circiut board and it works fine after reassemble.

Cool

----- Gregg -----