Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

foreman or rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:39 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default foreman or rubicon

i want a 500 class quad, i am comparing the foreman to the rubicon. the foreman is almost a thousand less, and i do not see any real advantages, except the hydrostat drive. i am going to be trail riding and very little pulling. what advice is out there??

i don't need to win races and be the best, just want a good hunting and trail bike for me and the family, what do you guys think the pros and cons are of the two.

thanks.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You cant go wrong with either. Both machines are great.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Rubicon has 20% more HP and is liguid cooled. Not bad for $1000 extra.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Foreman - simple, easier to work on, and less chances for trouble. PITA to shift when plowing (compared to the Rubicon)

Rubicon - IMO the best engine/tranny combo in the 500 class. I really can't say enough about how great the Hondamatic works. I feel even stronger about this after driving my brother's new Grizzly 450 (I'm talking about the belt drive here, not power) Additionally, rule of thumb is that liquid cooled engines last longer. I work my machine pretty hard sometimes (not abuse though) and it has been trouble free. Don't be fooled that it is a hydraulic transmission. It is a mechanical transmission with a variable hydraulic coupling. It does not suffer the same efficiency issues as a skid steer's hydro (for example).

Rubicon does have 20% more power. Same chassis, but aluminum rims on the Rubicon so the weights are within 1% of each other.

If I did buy a Foreman it would be a foot shift. The only reason I would want a Foreman is that it is so simple you do not have to be an electronics wiz to fix it, and there are no surprises when (if) you have to 1) figure out why it isn't shifting right or 2) costs when buy a replacement part. But the transmission is limited in function/performance and a chore to operate compared to the Hondamatic.

I would be happy with either.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as handling, Honda calls the Foreman a pure "utility" quad. Pretty much a "work" quad....that can be used for trail riding. One magazine review tested the Rancher 420 at the same time, and said that the Rancher was way more fun and way more peppie.....

The June issue of ATV Action has a review of the Rubicon. They refer to it as more of a "sport/ute" than a pure ute, and feel that it has a pretty good ride....

For me, if I needed a work quad it would be the Foreman. If mostly a trail machine....has be the Rancher all the way!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

how can a machine that has 25 more cc's have 20% more horse power? i know it has alittle more but 20% thats a bit much. the rincon maybe has 20% more hp, but not for sure on the rubi.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've ridden both, and both are very nice machines. The Rubicon is a 4 valve engine, where the Foreman is 2.

Seat of the pants, they seem about equal in power.

For trail riding I like my Foreman better, but then I enjoy shifting. For plowing in tight spots I can see the Rubicon's advantages (quicker to switch between forward and reverse).

To decide between the two, ask yourself if you want an auto or if you enjoy shifting...

As already mentioned the Rancher is also a very nice machine, but I personally prefer the Foreman or Rubicon. In the rough stuff I'm way faster on the Rincon...

Anyhow, you've narrowed your choice down to two excellent machines. Pick the one you like best, and I'm sure it will make you happy.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

they only seem equal if you don't line them up

4 valves and liquid cooling. they tune LQ motors hotter. 20% is easily backed up.

I like shifting most of the time, but it's nice to have the backup auto modes. I putt around in D2 now and then. Nice (and different) not to have to let off the throttle to shift 1st-5th (or in D1 or D2). The more I use ESP the better I get at it. Definitely more control than I had with a semi-auto. 1st isn't real low like the foreman so the transition to second is better too. It's still got low range for work (which is also great for having an even tighter ratio to play with while riding under 30mph)

I've checked out the Rancher and its small size is cool for riding, but not for work (for me). The Rancher and Foreman are 26hp, the Rubicon is 33. More HP, more work. (C.A.R.B. figures)

Old 05-24-2007, 02:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the Rubicon "Canadian Trail Edition" and I havn't a clue how it compares to the US Rubicon. I'd like to know but I don't.
I bought my quad for hunting, fishing remote lakes and trail riding. I don't consider my quad a work horse by any means. I did pull my moose out with it in snow but when I hook up to someone stuck in a mudhole and have good traction my wheels don't even turn. My kid brothers older 450 on the other hand would spin a hole to no end if you didn't release the throtle. I bought it on the assumption it would have more power based on reviews I'd read. On that respect I was verry dissapointed. Other than lack of power I love it. It has an awsome ride compared to the foreman. I think that was one of the differences of the CTE. Either way you're getting a reliable quad.
Good luck
Mike

Old 05-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

there's someting wrong with your ATV ssphunter

Quick Reply: foreman or rubicon