Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Washing your ATV

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing your ATV

I have a question that I figured you that are more experienced could answer.

I have never owned an ATV before, rode many though. I just recently purchased a 2007 Honda Rancher 420 ES. Are there any precautions that I must take before giving it a bath? I have rode it on some gravel back rodes and it is pretty dirty so I wanted to wash it up. Should I steer clear of soaking the electric gauges? I just don't want to get anything wet that may cause problems with it in the future.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default Washing your ATV

everything is pretty much water tight, just dont go to a self-serv car wash and use a high pressure nozzle or a pressure washer at home. just use a garden hose. the high pressure can sometimes push water past seals, and then of course the water cant come out, so it corrodes everything. feel free to spray the guages directly with a gentle to moderate spray, i havent had any problems yet.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Washing your ATV

Just don't use a high pressure hose like mentioned and also don't spray water on the engine while it is hot, just wait until she cools down a little bit and try and stay away from the opening on the exhaust and you should be fine.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!
Default Washing your ATV

Sometimes after riding in mud all day you can spend the whole next day washing with a gardenhose or use a pressure washer with CAUTION. I use it under the fenders and to clean tires. Use it to knock off the big chuncks then go with a spounge and waterhose. I have learned the hard way about what to spray and what not to spray with my pressure washer. I took of the front sticker ($30) on my Z400 just by sweeping it across one time.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Washing your ATV

Ya, i use a pressure washer and it works great. I use the nozzle that spreads it out pretty good. I just make sure i have it far back when im near any thing that can get damaged like stichers, bearing, engine, etc. You can use it but be smart about it.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Range Rover
Default Washing your ATV

Don't forget to hose off both sides of your radiator also!

Old 05-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Washing your ATV

i take mine to a car wash after every ride and spray everything off ,with 0 problems. just use some sence and dont hold it an inch away while doing it. i dont see how you could get the mud off with a regular hose, id be there for a day and a half. plus i wouldnt want the mess in my yard.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Default Washing your ATV

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mykool61679

i take mine to a car wash after every ride and spray everything off ,with 0 problems. just use some sence and dont hold it an inch away while doing it. i dont see how you could get the mud off with a regular hose, id be there for a day and a half. plus i wouldnt want the mess in my yard.</end quote></div>

I agree here. I have a small power washer at home that I have used for years. Just have to be smart about it. Power wash your plastics, it won't hurt. (Watch your stickers!) Be gentle with your engine, you don't wanna high pressure it of course.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Washing your ATV

exactly, just make sure the engines not so hot.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Washing your ATV

Try to avoid pressure washing the 420 around the left handlebar area, meter and PCM.
A note was made in the past months "The Wrench" issued to all Honda service personel.
Quote:
"Even though the switches and connectors are well protected, use of a pressure washer can force water into the harness as well as the left-hand switch assembly and PCM connectors, so please advise your customers about proper cleaning of the ATV"

----- Gimp -----

Quick Reply: Washing your ATV