Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 250R Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-1999, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '85 250R with no spark. I rebuilt the whole machine with a new top end and I also painted the frame and stuff. I have scraped down all the mounts and contacts, so it has good ground continuity. I am on my second used CDI that I recieved from East Coast ATV salvage. This last one I ordered, he assured me that it would be a good one. Well, still no spark. Just for fun, I wired in a spare CDI from a 350X. It puts out a spark, but I was wondering if the 350X requires less voltage to the CDI or something.
Does anybody know what the voltage coming from the '85ATC250R stator coil to the CDI should be? I need readings with the CDI connected and also with the CDI disconnected.
All of the components are in resistance spec according to the Honda shop manual. But Honda did not give any voltage measurements.

So, do I buy another CDI or a new stator?

Thanks in advance.
Phil

Old 08-20-1999, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Try kicking the bike over with the headlight turned on, I believe it should light dimly (I can double check this when I get home). This should tell you if you are generating any juice. When did this problem start occuring, have you ever heard this bike run???

Gabe

Old 08-20-1999, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

It is putting out power in the lighting coil, I am not sure if the voltage is correct for the ignition stator though. I can't remember what the readings are off the ignition leads and I am at work right now.
Yeah, I have ridden the machine. The piston burned through so I decided to rebuild the whole machine. When I pulled the Stator cover there was about a 1/2 cup of foul turpentine smelling liquid that ran out of there. I wonder it was old gasoline that had leaked through the seal? Maybe it somehow ate into the coating of the wires in the coils?
The '85 has a slightly different electrical system than the '86. I saw an '86 junker for sale along the road a couple months ago, but the guy was not home and I didn't get the chance to even talk to him about it. Do you think the 86 cdi and wire harness will work on the 85 motor? I mean as far as the timing in the CDI...

Thanks for replying
phil

Old 08-21-1999, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, well, the 86 only had minor mods from the 85, I would imagine they would work, I'll have to get out my service manual, and look at my bike and refresh my memory on the ignition system, mine has been pretty trouble free. I'll try to look at it sometime today, I have a funeral to go to and some family stuff to do right now. If some pics of the '86 will help, let me know and I will send some to you. I will post again later tonight or tomorrow....

Gabe

Old 08-21-1999, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

Like I said, I looked at an '86. The only difference I could see was the plug on the CDI. I was just wondering if the CDI timing is the same, cuz I could easily put the other wire harness in there. This is all speculation though, I don't have a '86 250R to steal parts from. But, if I see another one for a good deal I am going to get it!
I wanted to work on it so bad this weekend, but I don't have time. :-( It is kind of a bummer because this one has been sitting around here for over a year and a can't ride it!..

Thanks
phil