Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2006 Foreman 4x4 config questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:47 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Foreman 4x4 config questions

I'm considering a leftover 2006 Foreman 4x4. I have a few questions that I'm a little fuzzy on.

First, the dealer tried to tell me that if I get the manual, I don't get the instrumentation/dash and I saw some there without it. He said it only comes on the ES. However, I'm seeing an "S" model on the ebay, craigslist, etc, which appears to be a manual and has the instrumentation/dash. What is an "S"... is that the manual? What model might I have been seeing that did not have the dash? Maybe the 2wd model?

Second, should I be concerned about the ES? I've had people say to stay away from it as it has had problems, especially in water/mud. Others say it is solid, and don't worry. What are your opinions and experiences?

And finally, it appears Honda is not into offering low range or full locking front differentials. Anyone have opinions on that?

Old 06-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Foreman 4x4 config questions

Regarding the 1st question, the 2wd manual does not have the digital dash. The 500FM (Fourwheel drive manual) does have the dash, as does the electric shift.

Older electric shifts did seem to have problems occasionally. New ones are supposed to be better. Personally, unless it's under water, I prefer the foot shift to the buttons anyway...

Honda does not seem to be into lockers, or low range. The Foreman's 1st gear is pretty low, though, and I don't find a need for something lower.

The limited slip works OK, but is no substitute for a locker IMO. In the real world I don't think there are very many situations where having a locker as opposed to the current system would have made the difference between getting through and getting stuck, but I do wish Honda would start putting lockers on their 4x4's. Applying a touch of front brake will help the performance of Honda's front end when one tire has no traction at all.

Overall, I like my Foreman very well. It has planted and stable suspension and is fun to ride, the size to me is just right, and it has been totally reliable. It doesn't match the super-plush ride of my Rincon, though.