Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda rancher...Need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda rancher...Need help

I just recently bought a honda rancher AT. It only has about 105 miles on it and the oil change light wont shut off. I just got done changing it after the break in and cant figure out whats wrong..and the only dealer is about an hour away from me. If you have any idea how to fix it plz let me know

Old 06-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing was your filter a screw on type like an automotive filter , or was it the small filter mounted in the side of the crank case of engine ? If it was the small one in the sidecase you may have it in backwards , Take the filter cover back off and make sure the filter is inserted with the rubber seal side of oil filter is facing towards the filter cover. ! And ensure the filter spring is correctly positioned between filter and crank case cover ; and renew filter cover O' ring and the crankcase cover oil passage O' Ring if required and and install the cover. ! Oh i almost forgot to say , welcome to the forums ! ................williebee

Old 07-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had replace the filter before and it was fine but i just drained the oil out and put new in with out changing the filter and now the change oil light is on and wont come off.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

Oh for the good old day's before they started adding all the electronics gizmo's on everything , seam's like i read a post a monyh or so ago about having to reset the computer after changing their oil ; i think it was a honda they were talking about ! Someone here on the forums was asking about when oil service light was suppose to start blinking , warning you it was time to change the oil. It was somewhere around 100 miles or 10 hrs , and other's were telling him that i would but it could be 150 to 200 miles or 20hrs ; but that it would start blinking sooner or later ! I can't remember if you can reset it yourself or have to take it into dealer ship and have them do it for you ! I think one member said you had to turn on the switch and hold the mode button down while turning the switch at the same time . And i think the oil service light would start blinking with the switch in the off pososition and then release the mode botton , wait a few seconds then turn the ignition key switch back on and it would reset itself ! Try this and it doesn't work try with the switch off unhook one of the battery cables for a few seconds ; then hook the cable back up then turn on the key switch and see if this help's ! If it doesn't you may have to take it back to the dealer and have them reset it for you , sorry i couldn't help you with a sure fix ; there's so many electronic's on these quad's now it's just crazy ! I haven't had any problem's with my AC yet but i'm going to buy a good O.E.M manual for my 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 , i know it will pay for itself the first time something comes up ; and i know it will just don't know if it happen's in the middle of no where ! My old Honda TRX 350 foreman 4x4 didn't have anything but a battery , temp and oil light to worry about ! My 93' Suzuki LTF4wd King Quad had a speedo and mile trip meter but they were machanical not LCD like on these new Quad's ! Well maybe someone will jump in and give you beter info , if not it maybe time to take into the shop ; but i hope not ? If you find out what it is let us all know what it was , i have my setting where i get a email if someone post's a reply ! Sure hope it's something easy and doesn't cost you much ! ..............williebee

Old 07-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry for the double post hit button more than once