Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

424 Locker On Rubicon Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 424 Locker On Rubicon Question

I installed the Warn 424 on my Rubicon. At times it is hard to get unlocked, it won't click into the release position sometimes unless you drive around a little. Once you get it released, it locks / unlocks easily. Is there any way to cure this?

Old 08-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Range Rover

No, the problem is due to front end loading. That means the front and rear drive lines bind every now and then, because they are not in perfect time with each other, its completely normal.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

easiest way to get it out, is simply get on the throttle hard for a sec, then as soon as you release the gas pull the lever. it will snap right in. just the way the binding happens

Old 08-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys.....It reall makes me appreciate my 07 with push button.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LittleBill

easiest way to get it out, is simply get on the throttle hard for a sec, then as soon as you release the gas pull the lever. it will snap right in. just the way the binding happens</end quote></div>

Yep, this works every time on my friends 2004 rubicon. He has had any problems what -so-ever with it either and now he can go in 2wd when ever he wants. It was worth the money IMO. Back to the question, he does exactly what you described above to get his out and it works every time.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

vtwin. make sure he leaves it in 4x4 when he's done riding. the design for the 2x4 lockout is simply 2 ***** pushed up, leaving it in 2 takes the ***** out of the hole and lets crud build up. what ends up happening is you will go to lock it into 2x4 and it won't snap in requiring you to ride in 4x4 till its fixed, it then requires you to pull the handle apart and clean everything. i think im going to fill mine with synth grease next time

Old 08-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

vtwin. make sure he leaves it in 4x4 when he's done riding. the design for the 2x4 lockout is simply 2 ***** pushed up, leaving it in 2 takes the ***** out of the hole and lets crud build up. what ends up happening is you will go to lock it into 2x4 and it won't snap in requiring you to ride in 4x4 till its fixed, it then requires you to pull the handle apart and clean everything. i think im going to fill mine with synth grease next time</end quote></div>

Thanks for the good advice. I will tell him about this issue this week. He has had it on for about a year and no problems, so maybe he already knows this. However, I will mention it to him just to make sure. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

its seems only to be a issue when the handle gets submerged. guess most people don't go over the racks. i run into the issue my self alot most others i know don't

Old 08-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Range Rover

vtwin. make sure he leaves it in 4x4 when he's done riding. the design for the 2x4 lockout is simply 2 ***** pushed up, leaving it in 2 takes the ***** out of the hole and lets crud build up. what ends up happening is you will go to lock it into 2x4 and it won't snap in requiring you to ride in 4x4 till its fixed, it then requires you to pull the handle apart and clean everything. i think im going to fill mine with synth grease next time</end quote></div>

How would it get crud in it if it's just sitting there not being used?

Old 08-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I have to stop, then put it is 1st gear and just creep forward a little and it will pop right out. Don't have to get on it "hard" at all.......

Quick Reply: 424 Locker On Rubicon Question