Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Wobbling Tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobbling Tire

The other night i hit a concrete drainage pipe that was overgrown with brush. The next day when i rode my four wheeler, it looked like the back right tire was about to wobble right off the four wheeler. ive come to the conclusion that its probably a bent axle or hub.
Has anyone had similar problems? if so, what was wrong and how much did it cost to repair? Thanx

Old 09-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Range Rover
Default Wobbling Tire

Did you pull your wheel off and check to see if the hub runs true? Are you sure it's not just the rim bent?

Old 09-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Range Rover
Default Wobbling Tire

Been there, done that. Jack it up and pull off the rear wheel. Make sure both wheels are off the ground then start it up and put it in gear. The axle should start turning ( unless its an automatic then you may have to throttle it. ) You should see the axle moving up and down if it is bent. I did the cheap but NOT reccomended fix to my Honda 300. I took a white wax pencil and slowly moved it toward the axle while my friend throttled it and kept it going. By doing this, the first point of contact of pencil to axle was the HIGH point of rotation. I stopped it, turned the axle to where the white spot was on top. Then I got the axle end red hot and put a hollow thick metal bar on it and bent it down. Then rotate it again to see if it is straighter or not. Now note this, you CANNOT get the axle perfectly straight unless you are extremely lucky but you may be able to straighten it enough to keep from buying an axle. Also you DO WEAKEN the strength of it by heating it like that and it will bend easier next time.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wobbling Tire

That was another possibility i thought of because my back tires are over inflated so there's no give, but i hit this thing going about 40-45 mph...way too fast. i just thought that seemed to be way to easy of a solution to the problem. my buddy has an old set of honda tires and rims in the garage and ill see if those dont wobble. Also Rubi, i didnt get the hub off last night to check but what do you mean run true?? meaning does it rub or wobble when the axle turns?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wobbling Tire

trx300man,
last night i put it up on a block and took my tire off. neither the hub nor the axle looked to be bent but i'm not sure because i havent done what youve suggested and i also didnt take the hub off yet. if i were to need to replace the axle or hub, how much would that run me?? ive found some moderately inexpensive parts online but i'd hate to go to a honda shop and get taken to the cleaners. thanx

Old 09-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Range Rover
Default Wobbling Tire

What type of 4 wheeler is it?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wobbling Tire

2000 honda foreman 450es

Old 09-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Range Rover
Default Wobbling Tire

You can get one through ebay new for about $110 or you can get one for around $125 through a honda dealer.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...VWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 09-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Wobbling Tire

Thanx man...one other question. do you think it would be expensive to install or do you think this is something we could do in the garage?? ive never messed with anything that in depth before. when i get off work i'm gonna head out to the garage and take it apart and narrow it down so i'll post the problem either tonight or tomorrow. thanx again for the help

Old 09-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Range Rover
Default Wobbling Tire

hmmmmmmmm............. NOT been there done that on the removal and install, well not totally. I saw a guy do it once but it has been about 2 years ago. It seemed kinda hard to me though. Maybe somone else with chime in with more experience. Still yet if you don't have one I would get a Clymer or Haynes manual for it. Those babies are priceless if you wanna do some things yourself.

Quick Reply: Wobbling Tire