Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Lovin' the new rancher

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lovin' the new rancher

OK....an update for the honda crew.

Just did the valve clearance adjustment....what a PITA!!!! All that friggin' plastic is crazy!

I don't have a shop manual, just used some posts on this website...thanks to those who contributed. Mostly I just used my previous experience from servicing the recon and 250ex....with the obvious adjustments for the 420's specs. Perhaps that's why I found the rancher to be so much more complex...I'm used to the simple recon (alot less crap to take apart).

Although I can't complain too much, I did manage to get the beast back together and it is running just fine. But, I was taking one of the rubber gas lines off the EFI unit (pump?) and it flung back in my direction.....gasoline right in my EYE!!!! Holy crap does that sting.....let's just say I took an unplanned shower immediately. Essentially it was:
Splash, ouch that kinda hurts, oh man I better head inside and flush this out! LOL.

Murphy's Law strikes again.

-sean

Old 10-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Range Rover

I also bought a new 2007 Honda Rancher 4x4 and have no regrets what so ever. Just took it out this week end and was very happy but all it needs are sum big mud tires. I did a lot of research and finally got the Rancher. Quick questioned, I thought you where supposed to take it in for the first service at 20hrs??? I have 6hrs on it right now.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, 20 hours sounds about right....I know I estimated my hours at much less than that.

I honestly don't know how many hours I have....could be closer to 15, who knows?

What I might do is another valve check before winter hits, just to make sure everything's good before plowing.

I've vowed to be somewhat obsessive with this quad anyways....this includes timely fluid changes, necessary adjustments, and thorough cleaning after trail rides. I want this thing to last.

-sean

Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer

The first service is 20 hrs or 100 miles which ever comes first. The oil change light came on at 100 miles I had just17 hours on it. I had the dealer do the 20 hr tune up for $157.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

yeah they say to bring it in and have it serviced at 20 hrs. most of the people here dont want to spend the $200 or whatever it is in your area to have around 2 hrs of work done. thats $100 an hr.

the only problem i have every had with my 420 is where im going to run the snorkle[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] the vavles do not make noise, all the bolts have not vibrated loose(i have check this thats why i know), no more back firing(it stopped on its own). i cant think of any more problems i have heard others having. my point is: if its not broke dont fix it. or should i take it apart and check the clearances?

Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Range Rover

Hey MclaySA,

I'm glad to hear you got through checking/adjusting the valve clearance alright. You mention that you want to give your new machine timely maintenance and keep it up so nicely, I feel the same way about mine, so I hope you don't mind a suggestion that is purely intended to be helpful. I don't see how you can do without an hour meter. I suppose you could keep a log book and write down the estimated amount of time the engine ran on each ride ... but to keep that up consistently for years would require superhuman dedication. An hour meter is more accurate anyway, inexpensive, and much easier to do than the feat you've just accomplished (valve clearance check). And having just done that you're at a good point now to put the hour meter on, to have the elapsed time for the next one, not to mention oil changes and so forth. But it's never too late to add an hour meter. See how I did it on my TRX420FM on "My Rancher 420 Page" linked below. This particular unit also shows engine RPM when running, a nice added benefit, and cost $40 at the Honda dealer.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer

The service was $157. $25 of that was oil and filter, spark plug ,and misc parts. I usually do all the maintence myself but with the 20 hour I would worry about any warrenty issues that may arrise and the dealer questioning the lack of maintence done. If they did the 20 hour then there is little room for them to complain. I also had a slight back fire when going down hills which was fixed by the tune up.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Range Rover

What or where is the oil light on the Rancher 420?????
And the service is about $200 in my area.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Woodrat,
That's a good idea regarding the hour meter....I may just go that route. That would be an easy install anyways and it doesn't sound costly. I'll be looking into the meter...thanks.
-sean

Old 10-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

The 420 ES has an hour meter,trip odometer,and a light that tells you to change the oil. It also has a speedometer and it tells you what gear your in. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Lovin' the new rancher