Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

420 front end wheezing

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 420 front end wheezing

I've had the 420 Rancher for about 5 months now... the other week is has started to make a weird noise that appears to be coming from the front end somewhere. It sounds almost like a wheezing/squeeling sound - hard to explain. Its most noticeable when in 3rd or 4th gear and slowing down. Almost not noticeable in 1st/2nd gear.

I'll probably take it in to get checked out before the warranty expires but wanted to run this past you guys in case its something real simple... Btw - I've changed the gear oil both front & back (using maxima synthetic gear oil) - the noise was there before i changed the front gear oil. the bike has 24hrs on it and i have not yet done the valve adjustment (probably do it this weekend).

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it in. You will probably get a new diffy.
Just called on one today, our DSR told us to replace the diffy, not to even take it apart

----- Gimp -----

Old 09-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Thought a little more about your statement, last night.
Also check the torque of the upper and lower control arm mounting bolts to the frame pivot points
If they are not tight enough, the inner collars of the control arm bushings have 'teeth' on the ends of them. If the bolts are a little loose the teeth can move on the inside of the frame mounts to make a noise simular to what you mentioned. Also if too tight, the mounting tabs can bind against the control arm when it moves through it;s paces.

If you take it in, the dealer should check these before condeming the diffy

----gimp-----

Old 09-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had what sounds like the same problem.It had a high pitched whine that started at a certain speed then would stop at a certain speed as you slowed down. I thought for sure it was a diff bearing. I put the bike up on blocks and got the wheels up to speed, turns out it was the front brakes, usually appling the brake will stop noisy brakes but it didn't affect the sound of these brakes at all. My next ride had alot of mud and water crossings, by the end of the ride the noise was completely gone. I think Hondas need mud to to funtion properly,lol.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the replies. I've tried applying the brakes and it does nothing to get rid of the sound. How were you able to determine it was the brakes, just by listening?

Old 09-20-2007, 12:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

While I had the bike running up on blocks I tried running it with the calipers off and it was quiet.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

well - i finally took the 420 into the dealer and they called me this morning. they claim the noise is normal and that its the fuel pump winding down. Not sure if I buy it since it was not making this noise up to about 20 hrs...

What should I do?

Old 10-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Range Rover

ya my disk brakes also makes a wind only when i go through water and mud thats normal, but also that I notice rancher makes a wind sounds that comes from the engine that might be it. It only makes it a specific speed and I noticed it too but my friends have two Recon and both made that same sound when I reved their engine up so that told me my noise is normal. Its one of those noise that you really have to check where its coming from. Try to duplicate the noise wile reving up the engine or dose it only do it while driving???? on 4X4 or off???? like twin420 said put in on blocks or jack stands and drive it like that so that you can find the noise.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I sure noticed my fuel pump on the last ride! I have a little weeze in 3rd-5th gear, but it is from the transmission.

My Rancher 350 had a very noticeable transmission weeze in the higher gears when it was new, but it went away.....and 6 years later the machine is running just fine....

Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 420 front end wheezing"></title><script src=

RalphKaz,

I have the exact same problem on my 2007 Rancher 420 I just purchased used. What did you finally do about yours? Did it get better on its own, or is it about the same?

Quick Reply: 420 front end wheezing