Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda TRX300FW

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda TRX300FW

Hi all...new here from Eastern KY.

I recently bought a 97 Honda TRX300FW. (My second 300; I have a 94 2wd.)
Nice ATV; a lot of stuff has been replaced new. Frame looks good-hardly any rust. Engine fires up and runs good.

I probably need a right outer cv joint-I hear a clicking in a hard turn. Boot has grease that has leaked out, so I imagine the joint has gotten contaminated.
I saw a new half axle with the outer joint on Ebay for $75.00. Is this about the best price around? ($90.00 locally.)

When I am riding it downhill and just let the engine idle down it always dies, but when i hit the throttle, the engine starts back up. It does this regardless of what gear I'm in. Idling seems fine setting in neutral or in gear.
Any ideas why?

Lastly, the rear brakes need some work. When I apply the foot pedal, the brakes cause the pedal to move up and down. I haven't looked into the rear assembly yet.
Perhaps the pads need adjusting or replacing. Obviously something's amiss.

(I got the Clymer manual from Amazon and have been thumbing through it. Should come in handy.)

I have been lurking here some time and have liked what I've seen here on the forum. I'd be grateful for any comments and suggestions for the above.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda TRX300FW

Well let's see first for the cv joint replacement there's a guy who goes by the user name thecvman who rebuild's the cv assemblies that you can save big time on the cv's , he sell's on ebay you can do a search on ebay or just about any search engine his name is Dan but use the search as thecvman and he should pop up ! Second thing engine stalling when coasting downhill while idling , this could be jetting issue for the altitude's i had a 86' Honda TRX350 Foreman 4x4 that i would have to change the idle speed up or down according where i was riding ; in the mountain's i would have to increase the idle speed and at home in the flat land's i would have lower idle speed ! But it could also be built up carbon deposits in the combustion chamber , and the best treatment for this is to Get a can of Sea Foam from most auto parts stores like auto zone , advance auto parts ; i get mine at O'Reillys auto parts for $5.99 + tax for a 16 oz. can according to your location prices may vary ! Sea Foam is a Fuel Cleaner/Stabilizer with a drying agent , Sea Foam will clean the entire fuel system and also cleans carbon deposits built up inside the combustion chamber ; you can also get Deep Creep it's the same as Sea Foam only it comes in a spray can Sea Foam and Deep Creep is safe to use in 2 and 4 stroke engines both gasoline and deisel fuel complete instructions for mixing on the can ! It can also be used in the crankcase to mix with your oil using it in the crankcase oil it will clean out the sludge in the engine crankcase and top end ! Now on to the brakes if it has disc brakes it could be a warped roto or missing or loose caliper keeper clip or pin for the caliper or the brake pads or if they are drum brakes it could be worn out brake shoes , or the keeper pin's could've come loose or the wheel cylinders could sticking causing the the springs from pulling the brake shoes back together ! And last but not least buying the Service and Repair Manual was the best investment you could have made , it will pay for itself with just the first complete servicing and tune up ; not to mention the other repair's you're going to be doing to get it in top shape ! I hope this help's you on the road to getting your quad ready to ride , if you need anything else that i can do or someone else will come in with info this really a good site here ; there are other's that maybe better or at least as good but this is where i come to help or be helped ! I hope you have a good day and everything goes right for you and it doesn't cost you to much for part's ! .......

Old 11-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda TRX300FW

I think you just need to clean the carb make shur jets are clean,probablly been sitting.I would buy the honda manual also ,ebay the cheapest ,probably a hole axle to save time ,ebay also.The 300s are most reliable quad,Good luck with the brakes their only downfall ,Good thing they have engine braking.j

Old 11-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda TRX300FW

Hey Williebee and jaaapy, thanks for the tips.

Yeah, thecvman was the seller I saw on Ebay.

I'll give the carb a cleaning and perhaps tear into the rear brakes this weekend.