Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 450ES 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 450ES 4X4

I have a 2000 450ES that is full time 4wd. I was out hunting the other day and noticed that when the rear wheels spun the front diff made a clicking or ratcheting sound. Nothing went bang or crunch, and I rode a futher 10-15 miles with it, just being careful not to spin the tires. I also noticed this noise when I braked hard. Under normal braking there was no noise. Also no noise while turning. We ran the front end up on a stump so the front wheels were off the ground. I could turn the wheels and the diff would make the clicking sound. As I turned the wheels, I could see the front drive shaft twitch every time there was a click. I don't know if when one tire is turned if the other turns as well. I have to find that out this weekend sometime. I have just received the Warn 4-2-4 kit so I have to get into the front end anyway.

Does anyone know what may be wrong? I am going to pull the diff and open it up. I hope there is something obvious. I have searched this forum back to 2005 and could not find this exact problem.

Thnaks in advance and sorry for the long post. I just wanted to give all the informtion that I have.

Dan

Old 11-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda 450ES 4X4

I would bet the cup/spline in the driveshaft from the engine to the front diff is stripped out. Jack the front end up and try to turn the wheels by hand. You may see the shaft turns, but the "cup" on the stub shaft out of the front of the engine does not.

Not real easy to change, but not impossible. I did it on a '96 400.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda 450ES 4X4

When I turn the front tires by hand the drive shaft does not turn. Could this be because the rear tires were still on the ground? I think I understand where you are are talking about, but the noise seems to come from further up front, not back near the engine. Could it be that the front end of the drive shaft is stripped? I am replaciing it anyway, so maybe I will hold off on pulling the diff completely. I will drain the oil and inspect for contaminants. Maybe that will tell me something.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda 450ES 4X4

Update: Pulled the front drive shaft last night. The splines on the shaft are stripped out. It looks like the grease seal failed and allowed dirt & water to enter the splined area. My next question is.........should I be looking at changing the front drive sleeve at the differential? This looks like it could be a bit of a job to change.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 11-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda 450ES 4X4

So it was stripped on the front of the driveshaft at the diff? (not the engine end) Yeah, you probably want to replace both the male and female part of the stripped splines.

Seems to me the new shaft came with the rubber seals in place. But anyway, doesn't the WARN 4-2-4 kit replace the shaft? therefore you only need the front cup or whatever its called. You can see parts diagrams at hondapartsworld.dom on the microfiche

Old 11-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda 450ES 4X4

Yes, it was stripped at the diff end. The engine end looks real good. The Warn kit replaces the shaft and comes complete with seals and boots. Nice looking unit. Can't wait to get it back up and running. Looks like there is a nut to remove from inside to take off the front drive sleeve. Parts are 4 days away, so it looks like the weekend before I'm running again.

The hondapartsworld site is the same as the one I have been looking at. houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com

Dan