Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250R CRATE MOTOR????

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 12:44 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there anyway i can buy a 250r cate motor ..i am looking to build an R only if the motoer is brand new..and would use aftermarket frame and all please help me outt

Old 01-10-2001, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

No, you cannot buy a 250R crate motor from Honda if that is what you are asking. You can however, buy all the parts to build a brand new motor but it would be extremely expensive. I have seen some people advertise crate motors from time to time, but they aren't really crate motors. Usually, they are 85 ATC 250R engines that were sold to Tech schools way back when Honda quit making the 250R motors. They were used for learning purposes, and the stator wires had been cut off of them. Now people are getting ahold of them again and trying to pass them as crate motors. Most have never been started so they would work OK, but you would either have to fix(I doubt you could) or replace the expensive stator. As far as the aftermarket frames, unless you find one used you will have a tough time getting ahold of one without waiting for an extremely long time. However, if you are interested I have an 88 250R motor that I just rebuilt top to bottom and I would sell it. You can email me direct at Raychalp@aol.com if you are interested.

Old 01-10-2001, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

I beg to differ. I had a few friends racing Micro sprints a couple years ago and the one order and bought a brand new 250R engine from Honda and it was around $2500....
Not sure if you can still get them but they were available not too long ago..

Old 01-10-2001, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider

As far as I know, you cannot buy a 250R crate motor. However, my friend just bought a CR250R crate motor from a place that builds micro sprint engines. That is probably what the other guy was talking about.

Anyhow, he has an 87 250R chassis with the CR250 motor. He has an Eddie Sanders head on it(for MicroSprints)and the Boyesen Rad Valve from the original motor. He spent a lot of time on it, because there is no pipe made to fit the CR's exhaust port in the Cylinder, he had to take his FMF Fatty pipe from the 250R and chop the end off of it, then weld a piece from a CR250 pipe onto it so that it would work. It also involved making new engine mounts, which included the rear mount. Because it was the 87 style frame and swingarm, he had to make brackets similar to the 88-89 style frame and swingarm. This was pretty tough.

The whole engine swapping deal also involves lining up the countershaft sprocket with the rear sprocket. he did this part right. his mistake was mounting the engine too high in the frame, which caused the chain to LOOSEN, when the rear shock is compressed, it essentially worked backwords of how it should. He is in the process of fixing that right now.

As far as the rumors about too much vibration/headshake because there isn't a counterbalancer in the CR motor, I have rode it and it isn't as bad as they make it sound.

He also had to make his own kicker, and shave the plastics, because the CR kicks backwards, not forwards like an R.

Performance wise, it will pull on an 89 250R, ported and polished with stock bore, boyesen reeds and rad valve, cool head, FMF Fatty pipe and silencer. I have rode both, and i prefer the CR quad. I don't know if buying a $2500 motor is worth it though, when he could have just bought a big bore kit for the original R.

Hope this was helpful

Old 01-10-2001, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider

After talking to my Honda dealer, he informed me that there are several things you can't get for a 4-trax R anymore, amoung them, complete engines. You also can't get a factory made frame anymore. They just aren't making them. You can still get most of the parts, but from what I have found out, no engine cylinders are available.

Old 01-10-2001, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

http://www.servicehonda.com/engines.htm
will sell a complete '88 kit engine for $2799.

ERIC

Old 01-10-2001, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

It looks like all they are doing is selling all the parts you need to build the engine. It is not a crate motor. However, I might have to buy one of those engine kits for $2799!

Old 01-10-2001, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

i've seen a couple adds once in awhile from used parts stores for crate motors like kandkatv and eastcoastatv

Old 01-11-2001, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

http://www.kandkatv.com/welcome%20new.htm in the used parts there is a '86 crate motor. $1700.00

Old 01-11-2001, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

if your going to spend that kind of money, you might as well buy a fixer uper 250r for 2500 and use it for parts. sell what you dont use on e-bay. no one loses that way! you probably can pick up a few engine mods that way too, because most 250r's wernt kept stock.

Quick Reply: 250R CRATE MOTOR????