Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

05 Honda Rincon Spark plug / wire issue

Old 12-30-2007, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Honda Rincon Spark plug / wire issue

I am by far a mechanic but I figured I could change my spark plug out with no problem. Yesterday I tried to remove the cap from the plug and after 3 people pulled on it the darn thing ripped at the boot. I wanted to ride bad today so I just soldiered the connection, electrical tape, and heat shrink. It would crank and I could rev it up in neutral but if I floored it on drive it would stall out and cut off.

I guess my question is, is there anything else I need to do when changing a spark plug? It was the OEM spark plug and I assume the gap was right. Even though my wires were "rigged" I wouldnt think that would affect it that much would it?

My other question is how hard is it to replace that plug wire? The wire ripped at the thick "boot." I followed the wire to a "black box" but didnt know if I could just put the wire into the new "boot"

THANKS!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update with better terms and easier explanation.........I just looked at a microfiche of the Rincon and the wire coming from the coil assy/ignition is fine. It just ripped at the cap assy. So basically do I have to replace all of this or can I use the existing wire from the coil assy (which is perfectly fine) into the cap assy? THANKS!

Old 12-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These plug caps can be a bugger sometimes. Your Honda dealer should have a replacement cap for your unit. WHen you install it, it turns on like a screw screwing into the wire. When you soldered it it mist have given the wire too much resistance so the ignition system would not trigger the spark correctly. These spark plug caps have a restince value of 5000 ohms plus or minus 1000 ohms in which the ignition system is designed to utilize. If this value is altered, the ignition spark will not fore correctly (the black box thingy is your ignition coil)

----- Gimpster -----

Old 12-31-2007, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Awesome thanks a lot! I just unscrewed at the cap like you said so all I should need is a new cap. I just hope my honda dealer has one in stock. That is a VERY POOR design and shouldnt be that hard to remove to where it would break. We are bringing in the New Years riding all night so maybe I will be able to make it. THANKS!

Old 05-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 05 rincon

my Rincon is not running full throttle starts an runs fine just when you open up throttle just seams like half throttle thanks iv clean breather new plug cleaned tail pipe

Old 05-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

My Rincon is also cutting out at higher revs ... 15 mph is all I can get .. even on a stand in the garage. Cleaned the injectors, fuel pump filter, new plug, tried a new CDI box , cleaned air filter .. nothing changed .. not checked the cams yet ... Please someone who has solved this mystery let us know !!! Thanks a million.