Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Will bad angle sensor strand you on the trail

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will bad angle sensor strand you on the trail

If i am out on a trail and the angle sensor goes out on my rancher AT. And i shut it off to eat lunch. What would the worst possible scenario be.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

there is a handle under the seat that you use to shift if the angle sensor goes bad

this is something i need to get out and learn to use

i hate learning on the trail

Old 01-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

As long as i can make it back to my truck. If i have to replace it once hopfully not more then twice a year. I can live with that becuase i really like my rancher. I do go in the water 2 or 3 times a month so time will tell if i am going to have a problem.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

with the rancher AT there is not a manual shift lever under the seat because the AT means automatic transmission with also ESP so since it has automatic it not possible to manual shift with the back up lever, all other models with electric shift will have the back up maunal shift lever under the seat but not the rancherAT, i have had this problem 3 times, it wont leave you stranded on the trail but u will only beable to use 1st gear and reverse will jus sputter, when u do replace your sensor make sure the o-ring is on there good and then try to put a lil silicon around to where it connects to the hondmatic trans. and also use some di-electric grease on the connection, the angle sensor dont like water but its so hard to not wanna play in it

---------------------------
06 Honda Rancher 400AT, 2" lift, 26/12/12 mud lites rear, 26/10/12 mud lites front, ITP chrome rims, HMF slip on pipe, exhaust wrap, K&N filter, outwears prefilter wrap, Dyno jet kit, customized snorkle with differential and carb vent lines ran up with snorkle, 2000lbs superwinch, warn front bumber with warn trail lights

Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Trailblazer

I have a tool that I stick onto the side of my engine to shift gears when my ES is out of order. The tool Is located in the back box on mine. Could you have this too?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer

well do u have the rancherAT or the rancherES? i have an 06rancher AT and i can chose to use auto or ESP and i have no tool on my bike or not even a place on the hondamatic trans that anything would go too, i know that the rancherES400, rancherES350 and the foremanES500 have it, i'd like to find out why the 06 rancherAT doesnt have it because its a great thing, better then jus 1st gear back tot he truck, guess its jus an ES thing

-------------------
06 Honda Rancher 400AT, 2" lift, 26/12/12 mud lites rear, 26/10/12 mud lites front, ITP chrome rims, HMF slip on pipe, exhaust wrap, K&N filter, outwears prefilter wrap, Dyno jet kit, customized snorkle with differential and carb vent lines ran up with snorkle, 2000lbs superwinch, warn front bumber with warn trail lights

Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

Yea....mine is the 2004 Rancher 350ES. That tool shfter is nice to have. It's wierd that the AT don't........

Old 01-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The AT's work differently, and can't be shifted externally like the ES can.

If the angle sensor goes, the AT should go into limp mode, where it should make it off the trail but will slip the centrifugal clutch to get going.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

yea i would love if i had it but yea the AT is a different world, yea it jus stays in 1st gear and reverse sputters when the angle sensor goes out

-------------------

Old 01-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

Is there any recalls on the angle sensor? My 2004 ES had a recall on it. The Honda dealer changed it out at the same time as they did the tie rod recall.

<u>Edited to say</u>-I did a search on this site about that semi-recall. I see that it's painfully old news......disregard my post...

Quick Reply: Will bad angle sensor strand you on the trail