Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Water Depth / Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Depth / Clearance

With a stock 400ex, what is the capability for water crossings? Meaning, how deep of water can it cross without having to worry about waterproofing? I don't plan on doing a lot of water crossings, but if I'm out on a trail, and need to cross a stream, I don't want to have to worry about the machine dying on me, or causing damage.

Also, if playing in mud (or water), is there a need to worry about "splashing" it into the wrong places? Not necessarily deep, but splashed. I've seen guys getting mud everywhere, so I don't think it should be an issue... Not that I could find a lot of mud here...

Old 01-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have your airbox lid on??? If so, all you need to be sure of is that you don't get water up as high as the snorkle, which is about the level of the bottom of your fuel tank. You can get the muffler under for a short time, if you keep the motor reved so it keeps the water blowing out of it. It it dies and you get water up the tailpipe and into the engine, you can have problems.

Also, I know it is fun to go through water fast, but the splashing is what will get you in trouble sometimes. Also, at the beginning of a crossing, shift down so you don't find yourself in the wrong gear in the middle of the stream, and have to get your foot wet, or worse yet have the engine die.

If the engine is hot, that will usually boil off any water that might otherwise get into your electronics (like short out your spark plug).

The deepest water crossings around here are in Afton Canyon, and Willow Creek on 3N34 behind Lake Arrowhead (there is a shallower way around it to the north side). I have crossed Afton many times in the past (open airbox), but lately the traffic has worn it down and it has gotten way deeper (deeper than mid engine). One thing everybody forgets is that those big tires on a quad will make it float. I didn't make the Afton crossing last time, because when I got out there the rear end started to float and I lost all traction. My buddies threw me a line, and pulled me out so I didn't have to get off an into the water.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it gets to deep for my Z, I get off and float it across ,much better to have wet feet then a wet air box .

Old 01-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, my airbox lid is still on. How much / what benefit might be gained by removing it? Is it primarily power gain, or a benefit due to the altitude?

I don't see Afton Canyon on the map--could you give me a general idea of where that is? LOL, I hadn't thought about the tires floating. Maybe I should carry a change of clothes. :-)

I truely appreciate your help and advice!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer

always keep your air box lid on but some performance might be gained by drilling some holes in the lid, i dont ride a 400ex but my buddy rides with us every weekend threw all the deep water we go through and has no problem, the air intake is up around the gas tank so jus dont let that go under and if it does then shut off the bike, and always helps to put some di-electric grease in the spark plug boot jus incase water gets to it, but u will be suprised what the 400ex can do and where it can go, jus keep on the throttle in the water, and if ya dont wanna get wet and mudding a pair of waders r very nice to have

--------------
06 Honda Rancher 400AT, 2" lift, 26/12/12 mud lites rear, 26/10/12 mud lites front, ITP chrome rims, HMF slip on pipe, exhaust wrap, K&N filter, outwears prefilter wrap, Dyno jet kit, customized snorkle with differential and carb vent lines ran up with snorkle, 2000lbs superwinch, warn front bumber with warn trail lights

Old 01-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

i ride in a lot of water and havent had any problems with water in the airbox or motor.

the problem has been the rear carrier it doesnt like water and ive had to replace the bearin 2 times

Old 01-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great, thanks SR, good advice on the di-electric grease.

Dean, you make a good point about floating it across if necessary, very true.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Red Rider

Removing the lid will give you more air. Combine that with an aftermarket air filter and an aftermarket exhaust, and you will get more power....but you will need to rejet the carburator. Doing these without a rejet, will make you run lean (hot!) and can literally melt your piston. Honda jets lean at the factory to begin with (to meet emissions standards), and the mod will make it even worse.

I ruined a rear bearings, carrier, and axle once out at Ocotillo Wells when we got caught in a flash flood. The extremely fine silt made its way into the bearings and they were toast. Short water crossings however, are just fine.....

Old 01-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Red Rider

Google Rasor Road and Afton Canyon, and see what you come up with. I think there are some maps in there somewhere....

See this post for some info on Rasor Rd./Afton Canyon. http://forums.atvconnection.co...id/27/threadid/533996

Afton Rd. is five exits before Baker on the I-15, going west. The next exit is Basin Rd., and after that is Rasor Rd. Great riding in this whole area!!!

What area do you live in???? I'm near Redlands.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ah! I just assumed Afton Canyon was part of the area near Silverwood Lake. It looks like another great place to ride and camp. We'll try to check that out this year.

I'm in Mission Viejo (Central OC). So far everything seems to be at least an 1 1/2 to 2 hours minimum away from us. :-( I'd like to find something close, but everything's just too built up around here.

I will probably leave the 400ex stock. I'm not too concerned about going power or speed, although I haven't taken it to any dunes yet. So far my riding has mainly been learning about the quad, and exploring trails.