Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1986 Honda TRX 70 help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 Honda TRX 70 help...

Hey guys,
I have a 1986 Honda TRX 70 that i've owned for about 15 years. It had been stored at my parents summer home and pretty just sat there for years. I'm guessing its been at least 5+ years since it last ran. It's physically in pretty good shape, stored indoors the whole time i've owned it.

So now i want to get this thing running again. About a year or so ago, i ordered a new gas tank for it, since the original one is leaking and sealing it didn't fix it. I also changed the air filter, oil and spark plug. Tried to start it and no luck so i just let is sit there until now. I've been planning to get this thing fixed for awhile but never really get around to it. I live in the Boston area and i was wondering if there was a place that can service it? I don't mind driving a good distance if i have too. I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction? Should i get some starter fluid and see if i can get it going at least? Thanks for any info!

Old 02-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Most likely the carb will need to be cleaned. The old gas that was left in the float bowl has plugged some passages, and starting fluid isnt gonna help. The carb needs to come off, and the jets removed, and either cleaned up, or replaced if the pilot jet is plugged. That hole is so small, it can be impossible to get clean, once gas has dried in it.
You could do that yourself and save big. Just buy a service manual, and dig in.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

I know this great guy here in Georgia....... Just kidding!

These little 4 wheelers are so fun to work on. I am restoring my 86 TRX 125 right now and just finished the rear end and am moving to the front end before I tackle the engine. I did bearings, brakes, cables, chains and sprockets, paint, gease and seals so far. I had so much fun on these old machines when I was young and this one will be the first one my daughter rides (after she's born in May, that is)!! Just planning ahead.

As for your not running, is it getting a spark? That's the first place to look. If it's anything like mine, you may have a short or something. Mine won't crank in neutral, but will in any other gear. Go figure. Do the 70's have an electric start? Is it turning over? If it is turning over and has a spark, try the starter fluid in the intake. After sitting for so long the carb probably needs cleaning.

Try all that and let me know what happens.

I'm sure any honda dealer will diagnose it, but it may cost a lot of money. I'd fool around with it before taking it in.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info guys. I actually bought a service manual a couple years ago, now i have to find it! I attempted to put the new gas tank in, but in the end, i decided not too. I've never worked on ATV's before and i would love to be able to restore it from top to bottom myself, but i don't know if i could pull it off. So i would want to at least take it to someone that knows how to work on these to let me know what's wrong with it... I'll see if i'm getting a spark at least, thats the first step.

That's another reason i want to restore it, for my future kids to ride...i had a blast on it when i was a kid!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, guys i just put some fresh gas and tried to start it up and nothing. I'm not getting a spark either...What's the next step? Also its a pull start.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

Ok. Just to check. You did hold the plug against the engine. It needs to be grounded.

Next, this is where it gets tricky. If you are not getting a spark, the coil may be bad. It could be the CDI or something simple as a short in a wire. You will need a voltameter and test the individual wires from the CDI box. If you need parts, check ebay. You should be able to find them pretty cheap.

Sorry I can't be more helpfull, but keep this thread near the top and some of the great Honda mechanics on this site hopefully will respond with troublestooting tips to test the electrical system. These guys are really knowledgeable.

One more thing. Does it have a neutral light or a reverse light? Is the neutral light coming on when you pull the rope? If so, it might just be the spark coil (The little box at the end of the cord that the top of the spark plug snaps into).

Old 02-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

You're being helpful enough! I held the plug against the engine and can't see any spark. So its for sure that there is no spark. I was thinking of replacing the CDI, but if that's not the problem then that's $115 spent for no reason, if the CDI is good...

There is no reverse on this little TRX 70 and no light for neutral. I'll try to troubleshoot the elctrical. I was thinking of just ordering parts online and taking it to a honda mechanic and have them install the parts and service it, instead of getting parts from them and paying for labor too. When i checked a local motorcycle place a few years ago, i was quoted $350 just for the gas tank! I ordered it online for $99...

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bump...

Old 02-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the shop manual you can test all the ignition components , ignition coil , exciter winding , pulse generator ..

Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

These are great little machines. I have 3, two '86 and one '87. The carb is not hard to clean, even if the jets are stopped up. Take it off, only two bolts, be careful not to break the float where the rod goes through.

Get a tiny piece of wire and run it through all the holes on the jets. If they are dried and stuck shut, heat up the jet with a lighter and the sludge will boil out, then poke it on out with the wire.

IF you break the clip: Don't buy a new float, they are more than a used carb on ebay. Clean it real good, get the pieces, use something like JB weld, just a tiny tiny amount and let it dry. One of mine runs great with a jb welded float.

The electrical issue is probabyl the CDI. There is an extra wire for the lights option on the CDI that is not hooked to anything. Unhook one of the other wires and use the lights wire, then it should spark. I had to do this to 3 of mine. Hopefully this will work.

Quick Reply: 1986 Honda TRX 70 help...