Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250R ???'s and 250R rear No Link Susp.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2001, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got an '88 250R frame and will be starting my project soon. This is the first time I ever had a R and am anxioous to get started but I have a few Questions.

What year engine is the best to use? I hear some like a CR engine instead, if not a CR, which R engine is the best all a round? I see that you can get a CT ported Pro-X cyl, Head, piston, etc. from K and K. If I go this route, what would be the best bottom end to use?

Also, with front Spindles, I found a set at a decent price for an '89, will I have to use '89 Hubs on these also, or can I use any years hubs?(I may just go with LSR Hubs)

My plans for this thing will be:
Lonestar everything and putting everything new on this thing within reason.. I would like to get at least LSR A-Arms, Swingarm, Steering Stem/mounting bracket, axle, Carrier, axle nut, rear hus and maybe front hubs.
I will probably run a +2 +1 a-arm in the front and may go with a +1 or +2 swingarm in the rear.

Shocks will probably be Works all the way around.

Front bumper, Nerf and grab bar will more than likely be AC sice I am not real happy with my Graydon stuff on my X.

Plastics will be Fullbore and the seat will be Graves..

Handlebars will be either Oneal Prolocks or one of the Pro Tapers styles.

Tires and Wheels, I am unsure on a the moment. I will have my Groovd Marshalls and Turf Tamers I can put on it and probably my Holeshots if I dont wear them out by the time it is finished.

What is this I hear about a No Link rear suspension for the 250R's?

How does it work? Do you just remove the linkage and have a custom shock built or is a company like Lonestar making a swing-arm to go without the linkage?

This will be my everyday riding quad and may run some X-Countries with it and then I will use my X for primarily TT.

Any comments or suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2001, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone??

Old 01-15-2001, 04:38 PM
87r
Range Rover

I can answer a few of your questions albeit not as well as some of the others on this board.

Motor:
About the engine, they are all very similar (but the 86 is the most different from the other three) - I would let availability determine which one I used, not the year. If you don't already have an R engine that will be hard to find. The CR motors don't have counterbalancers and that is something that you really need on a quad - I also don't think they would bolt right up like an original R motor would.

Shocks:
I recently put Works trip rates with rez's on my R and they are incredible. This is partly due to the stockers not being able to handle my 240 pound butt - my new Works are set up for my weight and they have turned out to be the single best upgrade I have done to date. It handles better and I can blast through the whoops like a wildman without bottoming like I used to.

As far as the rear goes, I don't know much about the linkless suspension. I am planning on having LRD rebuild my stock shock to their specs. I have heard this is the way to go for the money.

I just bought an AC skidplate, an AC front bumper, and a PRM rear desert grab bar. I am really happy with the fit and finish on all of these items - especially the PRM bar - it is very well made and looks great.

Good luck - sounds like you have a good plan, all it is gonna take is plenty of $$$.

Old 01-15-2001, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

ttt

Old 01-15-2001, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

If you are running xc than why do you want it wider.Pros don't even make it wider.than run aftermarket a-arms only to have more ajustablilty they are still the stock width though.as far as I understand you have to get new rear shcoks and swingarm to run no linkage rear.Many top guys run cr500 linkage and a custom shock.Most big bore kits are for 87-89 motors.the 86 had a complelty different cylinder.Also grooved marshalls and turftamers wouldn't be good for xc.I would get champion beadlocks and 6 ply razr's all the way around.I was very happy with my ac bumper also.

What you are discribing is more of an mx bike than a xc.

86 trx250r wiseco .020 piston,boyesen reeds,porting by p.m.s,FMF gold series fatty pipe,power core 2 silencer,uni filter,JD performance +2 A-arms,durablue elimiantor 2+2 adjustable width axle,durablue posi loc axle nut,white bro's white power shocks with adjustable res's all the way around,nac's casesaver,renthal trx250r bend handlebars,Ac stadium series front bumper with # plate,pro design kill switch,factory 909 grips,nac's casesaver,18/11/8 holeshot mx's on mitchell .190's,21/7/10 holeshots on ITP .190's

Old 01-16-2001, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

Jeepin: This 250R will be trail ridin and treack ridin(to stay in shape) 98% of the time, that is why I want to go wider. I will be lucky to get to maybe 2 XC races, if that, a year since I will be racing TT with my 250X...
I also listed Holeshots in my description. I have XC Holeshots that I will use for XC and trail riding and use the Marshalls and Turfs for some of the more hardpacked places we go to....

With the CR500 linkage, what it the big advantage? More travel? I will be buying an after market swingarm and a custom rear shock... Can you explain more? Also, is this the no link set-up? IF not, how does the no link work?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2001, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer

Stay with the '88 / '89 length swing arm. Don't add anything to it.

The CR500 linkage is supposed to make it track better in the whoops. BUT it's very expensive!!!

The CR motor will fit with some modifications to the frame. I would personally stay with the TRX motor.

CT....hmmm....I never had any problems with my 310 Kit. I have friends that have had nothing but trouble though. I also hear that the customer service is not so good.

Good LUCK!!!!

Old 01-16-2001, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

Mxquadracing: Thanks for the reply. I was readin your sig and your quad sound very similar to the way I want to build mine. I will use my stock frame for a while and then down the road go to a Lonestar or Arens frame... I am going to check out your site here in a little bit..

Thanks..

Old 01-16-2001, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Not all year 250R hubs will fit all year 250r spindles,86'&87'are different from88'&89'.The later years had a smaller outer wheelbearing in the hub and a tapered spindle.
Laeger makes the swing arm for a no link rear suspension and you do need a custom shock and a Laeger frame for that application.

88'250R many extras

Old 01-16-2001, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

On the 250R motors, the performance of the bottom ends is not really that different at all. In fact, you cannot tell which one you are riding even if someone tells you what it is. The 86 has different 5th and 6th gears, they are one tooth larger on the 86. The biggest advantage of running an 89 is that it is newer. However, you are going to pay a ton for an 89! You can even use the 85 and 86 three wheeler engines, they work just fine.

You cannot use a CR linkage unless you have an aftermarket frame. The CR linkage is not centered like the TRX, it is offset. The upper shock mount is not the same for the CR linkage either. The CR shock mounts almost vertical while the TRX shock is mounted at an angle. I wouldn't bother with the no link setup, that is primarily for TT racing. You need a custom swingarm for a no link and a custom shock. In my opinion it isn't worth it unless it is a TT only bike. Stick with the stock 250R linkage and a decent rear shock. I have had a few different ones, TCS and LRD rebuilds on stock rear TRX shocks are excellent. I have a PEP ZPS rear, it can't be beat!

If I were you, I would stay away from Lonestar stuff. I have broken all the Lonestar parts I have had and so have a lot of other people that I have talked to. My Lonestar swingarm is completely destroyed, and my a-arms aren't that great either. I would go with a Laeger or Arens chassis stuff if I were you. I have never had a problem with Laeger or Arens. The Arens stuff is awesome for the price! I current run a Laeger Pro Trax front end and an Arens swingarm both with PEP ZPS shocks.

As far as suspension, if I were you I would consider PEP, TCS or AXIS as well. Don't just settle for Works because they are cheap. I am not saying Works make bad shocks, because they don't but there are better units out there for a little more money.

As far as the cylinder, the Pro X big bores are nice. I would stay away from the Pro X 250 as they tend to lose bottom end power with the large ports. I think the 310's are nice, but I love the 330's!

Email me direct if you have any other specific questions: Raychalp@aol.com