Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

1st Investment on 01 400ex??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2001, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am in the process of trading My banshee, for a 2001 Yellow Sportrax 400ex. The valves are already adjusted, oil has been changed twice. The bike is in showroom condition. The guy already put DG Alloy nerfs on it, and Renthal 250R bend bars. My intention is MX style riding, and trails. I was wondering what the 1st investment should be. I was looking at a pipe.. But I thought I should get a 2nd opinion. I am used to the 2 stroke hit of the Banshee, and I am afraid I will be let down by a mellow 4 stroke engine. What could I put on it, to give it more acceleration, and more top end? If I should get a pipe, Which one do you all recommend? I've heard the EXPENSIVE Yoshimura RS-3 on a 400ex, and it sounded/looked awesome. I want something that's got a throaty sound to it, and a little louder. Thanks for replies

Old 01-15-2001, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

That sounds like a good idea! I haven't messed with the sprockets on my Banshee, still have the stock gearing.. I know if I had the money for the Yoshi RS-3, it would be on it. But, maybe a twist throttle. I rode a 300ex w/a twist today, I like it!! LaTeR

Old 01-15-2001, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

I would put on an exhaust system first of all then get a cam and titanium valves and springs. It will rip hard!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2001, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

hope ya get it.... K&N filter, dyno jet stage 2, and remove the spark arrester... would prolly help some.. prolly be plenty of power for ya... who needs to run 80mph anyway.......GET IT MAN!!!

HONDA WILL ALWAYS RULE

Old 01-16-2001, 03:00 AM
Trailblazer

Jet kit is the best bang for the buck ($50) With that K&N filter,rev box,slip on, remove your airbox lid, and run a 172 keihin main you will never want another Banshee. ($400 total)

Old 01-18-2001, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, I think I'm going to take it to the car wash, get it back to normal cond. and go over Sunday. Hondatrx300ex, If you're free, you should come with me. Since the guy's house burnt, and his key was inside, DJ just got another one yesterday. We were talking about it today, and he said that he can't keep his front wheels on the ground w/that full race Yoshi. I bet that thing RIPS! Oh yeah, believe this.. When you buy a Full Race Yoshimura pipe, you DO NOT HAVE TO REJET! No where in the directions, or recommendations does it say to. He did some max-out runs, checked the plug, PERFECT! Sounds like the perfect pipe don't it?? lol.. LaTeR

Old 01-19-2001, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I am expecting to trade. So much that I even changed my signature. I will get some gas tomorrow, and take it over Sunday. Cross my fingers!! I have heard that the Honda headers are good enough, and that a slip-on style pipe would be just as good(and cheaper) as a full system. I am planning on getting a K&N, taking the spark arrestor out, and having to rejet. How much $$ would that be? A K&N and DynoJet kit? I need to find some 9in. wheels too. DJ said that if I could find some, he'd trade me his 8in 250R wheels! Then I could run 18in. tires! And he said that a set of Tamers were on them, brand new!! Hope It Works Out

Old 01-19-2001, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

Lonestarbanshee,

Dirt Wheels is suppose to test a lot of the 4-stroke exhausts in the March issue. They test them on a 400EX on the dyno and track. You may want to see how the results turn out. That should help you decide which exhaust you want. I'd say that some that perform well on the dyno won't on the track and vice-versa. We'll just have to see. There are so many choices out there. Good luck finding the right one for you.

Old 01-20-2001, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

I will wait a little while before I get a pipe, try to get a feel for it, see what I want and what I don't want. I'm sure I will go with a slip on pipe. The honda headers are good enough. I am looking at the White Bros E-Series. Does anyone know if that pipe sticks out past the grab bar? Wheelies are something I love to do, and It will be sat on the bar many times. Thanks

Old 01-20-2001, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

dirt wheels said that over all they liked the white brothers slip on for a overall inprovment.

Quick Reply: 1st Investment on 01 400ex??