Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Ideas for removing a screw

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas for removing a screw

I was trying to remove one of the screws from the lid on the hydraulic box for the front brake and the head has started stripping. It's a phillips head and it's rounding out when I try to turn it. I have sprayed WD-40 on but it hasn't helped. Does anyone have suggestions on how to remove it?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used a impact driver ,that turns slightly when hit ,

Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those screws are a beveled head - if you can't get it out with an impact driver ( or just tapping on your phillips screwdriver with a hammer while applying turning pressure) and the slot strips out, drill the head of the screw off with a drill bit the size of the slots, this will leave just the stub of the screw when you remove the lid. From there you can use vice grips to turn the stub. These screws are cheap at the dealer - don't tighten them much more than snug when putting back on.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Range Rover

Thanks Ujoint. Since I don't have an impact driver I'll have to try tapping while turning and if that doesn't work I'll go with the drill. So basically once the head is gone the lid should just slide off? Sounds easy.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Dont use any petrolium products near brake fluid. Youll end up contaminating the brake fluid.
Buy youself an ACO Philips screwdriver. The ACO stands for anti cam out, and the philips cross has small serations for gripping the screws, and not allowing the driver to cam out. They even work on buggered up screws, as long as it can get a bite.
If you buy one of those screwdrivers...youll get your moneys worth out of them, and youll use it all the time.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Range Rover

Thanks hondabuster. I don't believe there's any fluid in there (which is what I want to verify). The front brake doesn't work and that be why.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the advice guys. I went out and drilled the head of the screw off so I finally was able to get in there and get the lid off. The box was completely dry so that's why my front brake doesn't work. Does it take a specific kind of hydraulic fluid or can I just run up to the store and grab any old brand?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe on a Honda, the top of the lid says the DOT type of brake fluid - some use DOT 3, some use DOT 4. Use whatever the lid says.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Range Rover

Gotcha.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

DOT 4 is compatable in systems that take DOT 3, just DOT 4 is higher performance and has a higher boiling point. Both are polyethylene glycol based.

DOT 5 is different chemistry (silicone based), and doesn't mix with either 3 or 4, and is mostly used on Harleys.

DOT 5.1, to add to the confusion, is polyethylene glycol based, with a higher boiling point and lower viscosity than DOT4. Often seen in motorcycles with ABS, and sometimes mountain bikes.

Anyhow use what it says on the lid, but if it calls for DOT 3 you can use DOT4. If it specifies DOT 4 don't substitute DOT 3 since it might vaporize and cause loss of braking if the temps in the caliper exceed DOT 3's capability.

Also, a little late now, but you can buy left hand twist drill bits which are handy for removing rounded out screws. Sometimes the bit will grab and twist out the damaged fastener...

Quick Reply: Ideas for removing a screw