Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 450R what? and why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 450R what? and why?

just picked up a brand used honda 450R from the local honda shop, pervious owner used 1/4 tank of fuel and traded it on a street bike!! anyhow im new to the atv world and want to get the most of of the bike and my $$, i have no clue what to start with or whats even good, as far as parts go i want a carbon exhaust system, i know there is LRD and white brothers thats as far as i have researched, other than that i really want to stay away from changing pistons untill its nessary!!! i guess i want choices on
1- exhuast system
2- air filter and open lid or aftermarket box
3- cam
4- jetting
5- ignition/rev box
and opinions on anything else that could help it along, i heard some talk about a parking brake block off kit and the Hrc kit BUT i want a full exhaust system and a different cam so that kinda makes the Hrc kit usless to me!! thanks in advance

Old 04-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: white450R

just picked up a brand used honda 450R from the local honda shop, pervious owner used 1/4 tank of fuel and traded it on a street bike!! anyhow im new to the atv world and want to get the most of of the bike and my $$, i have no clue what to start with or whats even good, as far as parts go i want a carbon exhaust system, i know there is LRD and white brothers thats as far as i have researched, other than that i really want to stay away from changing pistons untill its nessary!!! i guess i want choices on

1- exhuast system

2- air filter and open lid or aftermarket box

3- cam

4- jetting

5- ignition/rev box

and opinions on anything else that could help it along, i heard some talk about a parking brake block off kit and the Hrc kit BUT i want a full exhaust system and a different cam so that kinda makes the Hrc kit usless to me!! thanks in advance</end quote></div>

(1) I run an HMF Sport Series full exhaust, and it is kind of loud, but runs very well. I would get a FULL exhaust when you get it, because not many companies have a slip-on that fits their header pipe, so you'll be stuck spending more money when you go to the bigger header pipe. A lot of people like the Curtis Sparks exhaust, but it is a bit pricey, and 2 HP across the entire powerband isn't worth the extra $150 IMO over the HMF pipe, but if you can afford it, the Sparks pipe works well on the 450R. And HMF DOES offer a carbon fiber exhaust, I'm pretty sure Sparks does NOT.

(2) I run a UNI Foam Filter with no airbox lid, and the bike runs flawlessly. The aftermarket airboxes are worthwhile if you want the aluminum look and a little more flow, but it is not necessary.

(3) I would recommend a Stage II cam since they give you a broader powerband than Stage I, and the Stage III will be too much cam unless you get a big bore kit or a stroker crank. The HRC cam is decent, but the Stage II cam is more beneficial.

(4) As far as jetting, I went with Dynojet, and have been pleased so far. You may want to call the company you get your exhaust from and tell them what other engine upgrades you have, and see what they recommend. It is going to be a guessing game until you get it right. With my setup I am running a 170 dynojet size and I think I am still just a touch on the lean side.

(5) I went with the Dynatek FS ignition bike that opened the rev limit up to 11,000 RPM and gave me a slightly advanced timing (they claim a 5 HP gain), and I've seen a noticeable gain in take off. Dynatek makes a programmable system that is much more beneficial to you if you are drag racing the bike.

(6) I added #6 because depending on what type of riding you are doing I would get Sand Paddles for drag racing and either Maxxis Razor 2's or ITP Holeshot MXR6's for the rear (an MXR4's for the front) if you are trail riding or racing MX.

(7) If you are upgrading the motor and intake and exhaust flow, you are adding a lot of power, so you'll want to look into A-Arms and and extended axle for stability, as well as nerf bars.

(8) One of the best upgrades I've done is getting oversized handle bars (aftermarket). Any aftermarket bar is better than stock, the aftermarket bends are much more comfortable.

(9) I'll add a #9 as well, because if you are doing all of those upgrades, you may want to go to a 14:1 piston as well (this was just released for the 06-07 bikes, so I'm not sure if it is out for the 08's yet). If this is an all out performance bike then a higher compression piston will benefit you greatly and it is something you can swap out yourself while the motor is torn down, you may as well do it all at once.

Yes there is a parking brake block off, that you will want to purchase, it is absolutely useless. If you stop the bike in 1st gear, it is not going to roll anywhere.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is lots of other stuff that needs to be done before you ever mess with the engine!

Nerf bars are an important safety item! Full chassis and swingarm skid plates, and a bumper. The stock tires are not the world's greatest. Stock handlebars are heavy and a little high for my taste. IMS desert fuel tank.

Your single best performance mod will be the Honda HRC kit. I know a machine that has nothing except the HRC kit, and it will take on all comers at the Glamis drags.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer

You don't need the skid plates if you aren't dune riding or trail riding. That is a waste of money if you aren't a desert rider.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DWill58

You don't need the skid plates if you aren't dune riding or trail riding.</end quote></div>

Everybody I know who is into dunes only, take their skid plates off. If you ride anywhere there are rocks, a set of skids can save you a lot of grief!!!

If you are only into drag racing, then you will want an extended swingarm!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Trailblazer

Not many people run the 450R in rocky conditions. Wasn't trying to give you a lot of grief, just saying that he is not going to need the skid plates for his type of riding. I don't ride in the dunes, I've just seen that a lot of people buy skid plates for some reason and don't see the point in it with a racing quad, it just adds unnecessary wait.