Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex too much for first quad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ex too much for first quad?

Hi. I am looking at getting into the world of quads and was wondering if a 400ex would be too much to handle for a first quad. Im about 220 lbs and think i could handle it no problem but dont want to eat a tree. I like speed but would a 300ex be a better choice. I may want to throw a chick on the back, would that be a problem cause they look like theres plenty of seat room but... and obviously i know to keep it to a dull roar with a passenger. I was thinking of a utiliy but there a little pricey and im a college student with a small budget. Any other recomendations for a quad. Thanks

Old 04-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

a 400ex wont be to much at all. to tell you the truth i they you will be bored of the power in a year or 2. but it is a good first quad because they hold there value very well.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good choice! You aren't going to get in over your head on this machine, yet it has high enough performance that you aren't going to be bored either....

Old 04-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

The 400 EX is going to be just what you are looking for. It is geared much better for a passenger than the 450R is as well. You also don't have as many maintenance concerns with this bike, so you will not have to shell out cash as often to fix or do routine services like you would with the 450R. If I had some extra cash, I would pick one up myself just to joy ride with, in fact I've been looking in the area to find one at a decent price.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys. so a passenger should fit fine on one of these and the suspension would be able to handle the extra weight? Im lookin for a used one so i i was wonderrin if there was anything i should look out for on these quads. Im going to be doing basically all trail riding; will this be a good bike for trail riding with large hills and mud. How do these things drive in the snow? I apreciate the info thanks

Old 04-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Seeing how you are already 220 lbs..its gonna be a little taxed for power with even a light passenger. You can bump up the preload to max, but i think itll sag anyway.
If the snow is packed..like on a snowmobile trail, no problem. If youre blazing your own trail, and its deeper than a couple of inches, its not too bad, as long as it doesnt get too steep, or you slow down too much. Anything over 3 or 4 inches, and unpacked, wont be easy.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dooleypfeiffer

Thanks guys. so a passenger should fit fine on one of these and the suspension would be able to handle the extra weight? Im lookin for a used one so i i was wonderrin if there was anything i should look out for on these quads. Im going to be doing basically all trail riding; will this be a good bike for trail riding with large hills and mud. How do these things drive in the snow? I apreciate the info thanks</end quote></div>

If all you are doing is trail riding snow and mud, I don't think the 400ex is your bike. Look at the 420 Rancher. Also a maint. free bike. Much better suited for trails with steep hills and plenty of pulling power to do it. Plus, it will haul a passenger and plenty of other weight as well. Also, this model is available in 4x4 for the real nasty mud and snow. Just my .02...

Trending Topics

Old 04-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Range Rover

dont get the 400ex if ur planning on doing alot of snow riding, they are too light.
id go with a rancher es or manual if u do alot of snow n mud

Old 04-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dooleypfeiffer

Hi. I am looking at getting into the world of quads and was wondering if a 400ex would be too much to handle for a first quad. Im about 220 lbs and think i could handle it no problem but dont want to eat a tree. I like speed but would a 300ex be a better choice. I may want to throw a chick on the back, would that be a problem cause they look like theres plenty of seat room but... and obviously i know to keep it to a dull roar with a passenger. I was thinking of a utiliy but there a little pricey and im a college student with a small budget. Any other recomendations for a quad. Thanks</end quote></div>

A 400ex is a good quad but a passenger isn't recommended. The quad is too small and if you weigh 220lbs adding another rider is just too much weight for this quad. The suspension can't handle it and it will get really top heavy.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer

Any ideas then of a quad that would be good for a passenger but wont break the bank. I lookin for somethin used and under two grand. The 400ex seemed enticing cause the prices of them but i can see what you mean. Im also afraid of getting a 10-15++ year old quad thats gonna break down. how about a trx300 utility? Anything'll help. Thanks for the quick responces too. i appreicate it.

Quick Reply: 400ex too much for first quad?