Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex at hillclimbing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2001 | 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

G~R,

Yep thats "The Tit"

I have ridden from North of Grand Rapids to Keewatin and Back. We did 104 miles once. I love riding out there on the range. You can get lost pretty easy on all the old roads. Plus, I have spent hours out there and I know I haven't hit all the great sand pits. They are well hidden!
Have you been to Gilbert? I haven't yet.

We should try to meet out there this summer. I ride with a pretty big gang. Sometimes we have had 8 400EXs all together. It is pretty fun. I can show you LOTS of impossible hills, that are FUN to try. There is one by Pengilly, on the north side of 169 that is so steep, only 3 guys in our group had the ***** to go DOWN it. Nobody could make it more than 2/3 up. It is much steeper than a lot of the hills out there. I would love to see a Banshee try it, I think a Banshee could make it.

Old 01-25-2001 | 08:54 AM
Range Rover

Philzie, we'll have to meet up this summer and do some riding. You'll have to show me some off them big hills. My cousins has a piped Banshee, i'll bring him with. His Shee has some *****. I think his Shee could almost climb any hill out there. I can't wait till summer.

Old 01-25-2001 | 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

I can't wait until summer either. I was building a house all last summer and didn't get to ride much.

Later,
phil

Old 01-25-2001 | 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

Is Gilbert even open yet? I heard that it wouldn't be ready until the end of this summer.
If you guys are going there, E-mail me. I want too come along. (chrisjstark@yahoo.com)

If you like hillclimbing. Wabasha has some sand pits just north of town. There are some pretty steep sand walls that are fun too ride on. The area is not huge, but it's free.

Also, the Tri-County ATV park in Fairbolt has some nasty hillclimbs as well. It too is kind of small, but free.

Old 01-26-2001 | 02:01 AM
Range Rover

up till that part your quad was on looked fairly easy but where your quad was........i don t know if id take it home or not anyways nice pic!
864trx&atc250R's

Old 01-26-2001 | 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

Hi Chris,

Gilbert has always been "open" as far as I know. I don't know when it officially opens according to the DNR. I think it will be cool to have an official off road riding place like other states have. It might just bring more tourists, but that is a good thing.
The only downside (to me) of Gilbert will be the DNR being actively involved. DNR thinks they know how to manage stuff, but really I think it is just a power trip.
We need some establishment thoughm, there are more and more gates out in the wild country on the Iron range than there were even 10 years ago. Hopefully a designated riding area can be kept open, even if there are a few rules to follow.
It would be great to get a bunch of out-of-towners together for a jaunt. Hey, we don't have to go to Gilbert but we can. It may even be possible to trail ride from Calumet to Gilbert. I don't know. I have heard of guys riding from Grand Rapids to Hibbing, so maybe Gilbert is possible.
It is easy to spend a day riding around Calumet, Pengilly, and Coleraine. There are Dairy Queen and other restaurants all over, so you don't go hungry. They look at you funny when you walk in all messed up, but hey, that is the fun part! There are also a lot of campgrounds and Motels around here too. We have a fairly decent Honda/Yamaha/Bombardier dealer too if something breaks.

Thanks for the tips on southern MN riding. I have some cousins in Lakeville and Fairbault. They don't ride though... Maybe I can leech some lodging off of them!

Old 07-03-2006 | 08:49 AM
Trailblazer
Default 400ex at hillclimbing?

philzie can u send me pic of the hill that yous are all talking about