Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Just a 450R 2004 model... any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a 450R 2004 model... any advice?

I just brought this baby home. The owner was an older gentleman gave me all the stock parts plus a set of stock tires. He didn't have the owners manual. Is there anything I should be aware of? I didn't get to REALLY ride it, but not as torquey as a Raptor or DS650. Still it was begging to be ridden at WOT.

It does have an HRC kit on it. Is there any starting proceedures? When I got there during the day and it was warm it fired on first kick. When I brought it back the fuel was still left on the ON position. When I I tried starting it took a heap load of kicks with the choke on. Once the kick starter recoiled and hit me the shin (man I forgot what that felt like nor do I want to exprience it again).

I'm in love with this thing and it has revitalized my intrest in the sport.

Any advice for a suggested exhaust? I'm considering Yoshimura... one cause they look nifty, and two they are stainless.. they don't easily rust like cermaic coated exhausts (Ron Wood Racing, Big Gun).

Old 05-18-2008, 06:21 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When someone says they didn't get the owner's manual with their used machine, it makes me cringes!! This indicates that the previouos owner probably wasn't really into maintenance....so it's buyer beware!!!

I assume you do know that the engine and transmission oils are seperated on this machine! This means you can run a very slick (JASO MB) oil in the engine side, and a 2-stroke type transmission lube in the tranny side....God bless Honda for that one!!! A good read on the subject:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

For the record, I run Redline MC oil on the engine side, and Redline ShockProof gear oil on the tranny side....both ester synthetics but very expensive. I am seeing a slight increase in horsepower and the engine revs up quicker, running this oil!

All the 450's tolerate a lot of compression blow-by. This means that the oil gets rapidly contaminated with fuel mixture, and diluted out. This means that you have to change the engine oil fairly often. My maximum interval is 5-10 hours. A good read on that subject:

http://www.belray.com/scripts/...1d7-b921-64a4cf6d0144

Don't neglect your valve adjustments! If you don't know that the previouos owner ever did one, I would do that first so you know what your starting point is.

The fastest 450R I know of, has the HRC kit and nothing else (cam, muffler uncorked, airbox opened up, etc.). I don't see any use in spending money on other mods......

You need to follow the starting drill......

Cold Start-It has a pumper carb, so pump the throtle several times to prime the carb. Put the choke on full. Mine starts first kick every time, but the engine will race with the choke on, so I have to immediately turn the choke down and baby the throtle for a couple minutes until it warms up.

Hot Start-Aboslutely never touch the throtle before or during a hot start! You will flood it out, and then you will be kicking it all day to get the carb cleared out! Just hold the hot start lever, and it should start first kick every time. Don't give it any throtle until it has already come to life.

This machine likes to run wide open, which isn't the hot setup for tight trails. The engine is all rev, won't ever lug down, and it is geard tall....nothing like your DS! I would suggest you might want to go down one tooth (from stock) on the front sprocket. You will lose some top end, but gain acceleration off the bottom. Enjoy!

Old 05-18-2008, 07:06 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....also run extra oil in your transmission. Some of the gears are lubed only by splash, and running extra oil insures that they will always stay well lubed.

I run at least an extra 100cc's, after I have the oil level equal with the weep hole. Dirt bike guys are running a full quart.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just opened her up this morning. Man this thing handles pretty well compared to the big bores I am used to riding. However I keep stalling it.. seems like you need to feather the clutch a little bit. I'm sure I'll get the swing of it soon. So happy with my Purchase.. got it to start easily this morning..wan't aware you need to wick the throttle to start it. Thanks for the tip. Now to get a skid plate.