Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Dont know what to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont know what to do

Hi guys I have a ATC 185s and i was riding to day and, I notcided when i was riding I looked down out the motor and the head gasket was hanging off, when I shut it off I could see inside of the cylinder I could literly see part of the piston any Idieas how it is still running sinse it is still running I am going to go ahead and keep riding but is there any pointers on what I should do to fix this problem.

Pleas help I dont want to mess anything up I just spent $450 on it.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

if you can see the piston i would not ride it!!!!! fix it first!!!! if the head gasket is gone and you can see the piston the head is coming off the motor. make sure you have oil in it or you will ruen that motor and have to rebuild it. if you are not comfortable taking about an engine take it in and get it fixed before you ride it again. im no mechanic but i have done some work on small engines and what you have is not good.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

asdfgh1 i would get in touch with Guniess World Book Of Records on this one , you have a world record for sure with your ATC 185s ; in over 20 yrs. in Small Engine Service and Repair i've never seen or heard of any one cylinder engine that would even buildup enough compression to backfire much less run in the shape you describe !

I know Honda makes and has made some tough engines , and if you have one that still runs without a head gasket it would be worth a fortune ; so i would say hang onto this one !......

Old 05-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer

yeah cause whene i go and start it like it, it still starts but it back fires like no tomorow so i went and got a new head gasket and used my manual to help me put it back togeather and i linded the "o" mark with the "V" groove and down at the flywheel i lined the T mark with the O mark and the V mark perfectly it will start but whene i go to rev it, it will back fire and die so what I did is I checked the gas and there is no gas is that why it keeps dieing and why dose it smoke so much?

Old 05-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

how do you know if the timing is off any

Old 05-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Range Rover

son of a bitch it is still running with the head off?

Old 05-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

say what no the head gasket fell off and the head is loose but yet it still runs

Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 PM
The Facility

lmao.... you will also be needing a new timing chain there buddy.

If the head is so loose that you can see the piston, (Wow) ... it isnt a stretch to say that the cam chain is a bit ,... stretched itself.
This is why (or one reason why anyway) even after repair it isnt running right. Aligned the marks or not,... if the chain is stretched, your timing is off.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

whel after i got the new head gasket it was bogging out after i would give it gas then i noticed it was out of gas so tomorow im going to see how it dose and the timing chain is really tight so its not skipping and the cam sproket looks really good

Old 05-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

the magnito timing thing was off and now it has more power than it ever did when i give it gas it whell actually respond with power now i dont have to use the clutch to do a wheelie i just pull up and gas it i love that thing