Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foot-pegs...why are they better than floorboards?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you that have both or have ridden both. Why do most, if not all, sport quads have pegs. Is it that much better to control the quad with? Why? Is is just a weight factor? I ask this because I want to remove the floorboards from my Scrambler and just go with pegs and nerfs.

Floorboards offer stability, security and comfort. But do they really take away on handling ability? Jumping, whoops, etc...

Please just give me the facts...don't bother answering if you have not tried both. Objective opinions only.

Thanks

Old 01-22-2001, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

i like both.

But i wouldn't want full floor boards on my 300ex.

On the trailblazer they were fine, i was going to cut them off and put on nerfs and pegs though

Old 01-22-2001, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

94...what differences do you notice? You have the perfect situation to compare!

Old 01-23-2001, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

Footpegs give a definite pivot point under your foot that is very near to the pivot point of the of the quad as it goes over whoops and such.

Ever jump and get the nose real high, now imagine that with floor boards, try it again with foot pegs, you'll see that your foot is able to pivot on the peg, allowing the quad to do it's thing underneath you. With floorboards, your foot is likely to slip and or put alot of pressure on your ankle.

Old 01-23-2001, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

I have one of each and each has its points.

Floorboards deflect mud and brush. They also help some people to get on and off. Plus they can give you additional places to put your feet and shift your weight in technical riding situations. Finally, they help keep your feet from slipping to the ground and/or running over yourself (yes, its been done).

But if you tend to tip over a bit at slow speeds (like on rocks) the pegs let you put your foot down for balance (not always recommended). Pegs are also more conducive to foot shifting since the boards would need to be cut out for the shift anyway.

Old 01-23-2001, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

Difference? to me there are none.

I think they feel just about the same execpt you can't pivot your foot down.

I feel safer with floorboards, no way for your foot to come off. Pegs, i've had my foot come off a few times and get nailed by the back tire. Not a nice feeling!

Old 01-23-2001, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

I finally found the difference between footpegs and floorboards. On the foot pegs, you can pivot your foot, allowing you to move "freely" to the front and back, without hurting your ankles. I also found that my footpegs have better grip than your floorboards (but that's a detail). The thing I don't like with floorboards is that your foot must always be flat, forced to stay horizontal isntead of moving around.

Old 01-23-2001, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

The Raptor style footpegs should be very nice. They have the rear protection from the tire. Add some nerfs to keep your feet from falling and that should make a nice kit.

Old 01-24-2001, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

i have never liked floor boards...pegs for me

in my opinion it limits my riding style, not allowing me to move around the bike enough because you feet sit flat.......its harder for me to get my weight down and to one side for fast cornering etc

Old 01-25-2001, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer

I have a Rancher that has floorboards with integrated footpegs, so I can still pivot my feet but get all the advantages of floorboards. I like it much better than the footpeg only setup on my Recon. Much safer for the gnarly terrain also.

Quick Reply: Foot-pegs...why are they better than floorboards?