Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Sitting Honda

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sitting Honda

Hello, have 420 on Battery Tender, Stabil, and full tank of gas. Here is my question, I have had NO time to ride since March due to work and family commitments, so is it better to let it sit or should I fire it up once in a while? Might be able to go riding in a couple of weeks.

Anything I should look out for?
Thanks

Old 06-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Sitting Honda

I would fire it up every once in a while so you don't let everything sit still for too long. This is what I did with my ATV and my tractor and once I got time to ride them, they started up right away and ran smooth. There's nothing you really have to watch out for.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sitting Honda

I would also get some Stabil for the Gas
Or what I do is use Sunoco 110 race gas and mix with Super 50/50
Keeps in my bikes
Good luck
Ray

Old 06-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Range Rover
Default Sitting Honda

I had my 420 sitting all winter. I changed the oil, put in a new filter, pulled the battery, charged it and put stabil in the gas tank. I also had a full tank of gas. It was sitting for 6 months. I never did fire it up, probably should have I guess. It started up first try. I couldn't believe it. I guess next winter I should fire it up once in a while like suggested though.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default Sitting Honda

if your going to start it you need to ride it or you will not evaporate the water in the oil.....better to leave it sit

Old 06-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sitting Honda

Something I do religiously is cut my fuel off and run the carb dry every time I know I will not be riding for a while. This keeps my carb clean and functioning perfectly. I have never had a problem with gunk in 3 years.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default Sitting Honda

420s are fuel injected but I run my toys and tools dry when going into storage.

I will take a while, on my last ride I forgot to turn the fuel back on and ran 3.3 miles before it quit. Threw me off as I just had the 20 hour service at 19.7 hours and it flashed "change oil" and quit. I was left thinking why would Honda do that, make it shut down?

Old 06-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sitting Honda

Well I just learned some thing new. Thanks for not bashing my brains in.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sitting Honda

I question whether it is good to run the FI dry. It has a fuel pump, not gravity feed like a carb!

Had you thought about seeing what the owner's manual recommends for long term storage????

I have the problem that we ride sport quads in the desert during the cool months, and the utes in the mountains druing the hot months. So my sports sit all summer, and the utes sit all winter (except for the occasional mountain snow ride). I makt it a point to run them all around the block every few weeks, when they are just sitting.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Trailblazer
Default Sitting Honda

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

I question whether it is good to run the FI dry. It has a fuel pump, not gravity feed like a carb!

</end quote></div>
True, but honestly the Quad doen't get put up for any real lenght of time so I just start it and take a short ride when I can.

Quick Reply: Sitting Honda