Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

air filter help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter help

whats the best way to clean ur air filter. will dawn detergent work with water? also how would u soak it in oil after it dries? just pour it on and squeeze it in or soak it for a while then rinse? whats the best way??

Old 06-19-2008, 03:57 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air filter help

I use PJ1 spray. Spray it on, let it sit a few minutes, then wash it (from the inside out) in warm water.

The owner's manual says to soak it in a solvent like kerosene (you know folks will just use gas), but my experience is that this will dissolve the oil but just leave the grit behind. If I did this, I would then follow up with a detergent wash.

I use one of the super tacky filter oils, like Maxima FFT. Plain engine oil is so light, that it will deain down and you can end up with a dry filter, that's why I use FFT instead. I saturate it, the squeze (don't wring however!) out the excess.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default air filter help

I really like Honda Pro's bio oil, which I think is made by no-toil. It comes in a package with oil, special cleaning soap, and sealing grease.

You have to use kerosene or diesel to get the original petro based filter oil off the first time. Once it's been treated with the bio oil, when you clean it the next time you just use the special soap and water.

The bio-filter oil is really tacky stuff that resists gas and water, but cleans up amazingly easy with the soap cleaner stuff, with no nasty smell.

The kit also came with a sticker for the air box so if someone else services it they will know to use the bio cleaner. Apparently if you attempt to use gas, kerosene or whatever on the bio-oil, it just makes a mess and doesn't get the oil out.

Anyhow, it is important to let the filter dry before reoiling it. I like to put the filter and some oil into a freezer bag to smoosh it around good.

Let the solvent/carrier dry from the filter oil for a few minutes before closing up the air box.

I like to avoid gas if I can. Modern quality filters seem to hold up to a couple of years of cleaning with gas, but eventually the foam starts showing signs of crumbling and breaking down. I haven't seen that problem when using diesel.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air filter help

Avoid No Toil. It contains isopropyl alcohol which will melt the glue in your filter.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Range Rover
Default air filter help

Hey recon,
would the spray for a k&n filter in a vehicle work?

Old 06-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default air filter help

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Avoid No Toil. It contains isopropyl alcohol which will melt the glue in your filter. </end quote></div>

So far I've had no problems, but I've only been using it a couple of years. Also, it is just a guess on my part that it is made by no-toil. I see that no-toil has a similar product and appears to be in identical bottles.

Maybe the Honda stuff is different, as I doubt Honda would sell something under their name that would cause problems with their filter.

Anyhow, good info. I'll probably stick with the Honda brand stuff. It really does work well.

Regarding K&N filter oil, I wouldn't use oil designed for a gauze type filter on a foam filter...