Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Weak ling on the Gorilla winch

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak ling on the Gorilla winch

mine was the drum. it broke on the second pull. called gorilla, and they were supposed to have sent me a replacement yesterday for a trip i was leaving on this morning. i am going to call them this morning and leave after ups runs.

so what broke on yours? how did gorilla handle it.

i am a little miffed at them. this ride i am going on is by invention only, and a winch is a requirement ,

Old 06-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

Go out and buy a WARN. In reality you get what you pay for. I've had a WARN 2000lb winch for 10 years and its never left me stranded and its seen alot of hard pulls. I also have the warn snatchblock kit which really helps.

If buying new I'd have the new 3000lb model for the extra pulling power...they are worth the money.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

i have had my gorilla for over a yr now and so far i have never had a problem [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2008, 09:31 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I have had my warn for 3 years now with out a problem,of couse I only used it twice though.LOL

Old 06-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

UPDATE.
called today to check and see where my parts were, and they didn't ship them for some unknown reason. then the person on the phone was going to charge me for shipping, not so i said, and asked about the return policy.
they thought they put me on hold, but i could hear the conversation they were having with their superior, and then they came back and said they thought the winch was a year old , and it was a mistake, there will be no charge for the shipping.

at this point, i am not very impressed with this organization. i am going to give this winch one more shot, and if it fails, i'll box it up and send it back.

if the chinese ever get the quality of the japanese, what do you think will happen the economy?.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Range Rover

Wow poor customer service speak a lot for that company. I hope you get everything all straightened out. Keep us updated

Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

alright. ups arrived this evening with my replacement drum. let me back up a bit. i had to call gorilla last friday to tell them the plastic gear housing had bits of plastic and metal in it from the broken drum, and to send me one of those as well, and i took the time to apologize to the guy on the phone for being a real horses a++ the first time i talked to him. anyway.
when i opened the box of parts a minute ago, i didn't find one drum, not two drums, but three drums, all with cable. WOW. i'll install everthing tuesday when i get the plastic gear assm. when i get this thing put back together i am going to put it threw a work out wen. supposed to go to the mountains next weekend, and it will for sure be put to work.
since my problem i have scoured the net looking for anything on gorilla. so far, there is more positive than negative. all issues are resolved one way , or another, even with people who have had their winches more than a few months, unless they are in the same boat as me. i have had this winch going on a month, and it has been on my foreman, 1 day.

Trending Topics

Old 07-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer

I had an issue with the driveshaft stripping out. They said it was a known factory defect and would send parts, recieved parts, then the motor locked up. ?They sent me a new winch and about 1 week later they sent me my original winch back to me repaired. They took care of me, but I know this is not a top of the line winch and don't expect it to last forever. Will buy a Warn after the winch that is mounted on my bike and the spare I now have give out.......

Old 07-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

how long have you had your winch?
i am guessing these winches are like tools from harbor freight, you may have to go thru 3, or 4 before you get a good one. of course they are gonna break when you need them most.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

customer service is great......you can sit it the the mudhole and wait for the UPS GUY everytime you use it.

Quick Reply: Weak ling on the Gorilla winch