Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Won't run smooth above 50% throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't run smooth above 50% throttle?

Which screw is the idle mixture screw if you don't mind my asking? I'm having a high idle issue with my '86 Fourtrax 250.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

If you think you have a Stator problem, call the experts at Ricky Stator... Over the years I have had some wild questions for them and they have always steered me right. Not an advertisement, but they do know their stuff and are free with advice.

Also, I agree the petcock is a place to look, but it seems you have done that. You have not said anything but I assume you already put new filters in place. You could also have an air leak somewhere, or a plugged fuel line. I've had spiders build a nest on mine one time. Granted it had sat for several years.

In fact, your fuel line may actually be collapsing when under full load from the vacuum. It is a cheap fix, replace all the rubber material. This will not be evident to the eye in some cases.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't think the stator could be a problem but if you want to change it there were two different stators used and they are not interchangeable unless you change the flywheel also. The timing is controlled by the CDI box. It is mounted in a rubber strap on the frame downtube in front of the engine, up high. Check for gas in the oil. Pull the dipstick and smell it.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

this is a wild idea but it might be that it is getting to much gas, one of the holes in the carb is pluged, or your jet needle is not adjusted or operating correctly

Old 07-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

i got the same problem with my 450, i did all the same things i even put some lucas carb cleaner in the gas but nuttin

Old 07-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I found a used coil, cdi, alarm, and stator. I switched them all and the machine still runs the same. I changed the pulse generator, but as Irod stated, there are two different stators and they are not interchangeable, of course the one I found was the one which does not fit my machine. I also spoke to a buddy that had a dirt bike with the same type symptoms and after cleaning and rebuilding the carb four times, with no improvement took it to the shop. It was a twisted gasket deep in one of the jets. Also, like just about everyone here, all the people I talk to say it sounds like the carb. I now have the Clymer book for the machine and from what I can remember, there is no "main jet baffle" in my carb. The fact is this piece was not in the carb initialy when it did seem to run right. I am going to check on this baffle piece tomorrow. Anyone know what that does?