Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda trx300 problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda trx300 problems...

Hi there all, i'm new on here, and got to say an awesome forum guys, i havn't looked at half of it yet. Just want to ask a few questions about my quad. I've got a 1994 honda trx300fw, and i'm having some problems with two things. It starts fine, but recently i've noticed a huge lack of performance when riding it, slow acceleration and reduced top speed. It doesn't run lumpy or anything just very sluggish. I use the quad mainly for gamekeeping and farm work with occassional playing so it's not a huge concern, but it struggles pulling a trailer of wheat so i'd like to sort it out. The problem doesn't happen when it's hot or cold, and is in no way consistant in it's symptom's. The quad is used alot on the road aswel. Any help would be appreciated.

The next problem was that today in the rain i got it stuck, and on trying to remove the quad from the mud, i notcied only the rear wheels were being powered. The front wheels were alomst attempting to turn, but very jittery and didn't turn consistantly atal. What's the most likely thing to have gone wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks again.

Russ

Old 08-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you have drivetrain issues

Old 08-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer

first thing... change the plug..
then unscrew the sparkplug cap.
trim off just the buldged end of the wire. you can plainly see how far in the cap screw threads into the the wire, just trim that. once trimmed use a needle or some pointed item to spread the copper wires evenly then thread the cap back on..

check and adjust valve lash..

Clean carb. polish ALL jets inside and out. Roll up the wool so that it will when twisted into the jets clean out the ID well.. and the imulsion tube with 0000 guage steel wool.. then throughly blow out the steel wool from the jets....

this will dramaticly improve performance.

As of the front end slipping... its Clutch time... Enjoy that one...

GL..

Old 08-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for that advice, will do. CLutch time you say? Expensive? Is it likely not to go anywhere soon? Noticed lots of grunts and nasty noises today, especially when turning corners??

Whats up with it?

Russ

Old 08-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Before you go replaceing parts just try to get in spot where all four should turn if they are still not turning touch the handlebar brake just a little bit. That usally locks mine in 4wdig

Old 08-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

most clutch kits run from 35 to 250 bucks. it all depends on if you change just the friction plates (cheapest) or go all the way and get a machined basket and new pressure plate. here is a short informative video on changing a clutch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br63PLcq3sU

Old 08-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keepitupright i wouldn't rush to judgement on the need to replace the clutch , it may need a simple adjustment ; and correct me if i'm wrong your 1994 Honda TRX300FW 4x4 has a semi auto clutch/no handlebar clutch lever.

You need a good O.E.M. Service and Repair Shop Manual that covers your quad , they will pay for themselves with just the first complete service and tuneup alone ; the clutch on your quad should be a mutiple-disc clutch attached to the right end of the transmission mainshaft and actuated by the foot/gearshift lever !

During gear selection , a lever attached to the end of the gear shift shaft rotates a release mechanism to simultaneously disengage the clutch permitting smooth operation between gear shifts ; if you have a hand lever on the left handlebar that works the clutch then i'm wrong !

If i'm right there will be a cover on the right side of the crankcase that will need removed to get to the clutch adjuster , some models have the words Decrease and Increase with arrows stamped on the side plate ; in anycase the adjuster looks like a stud bolt with a locknut to keep the adjuster tight !

To adjust the clutch you need to loosen the locknut , and turn the adjuster screw counterclockwise untill internal resistance is felt ; then turn adjuster screw clockwise 1/4 turn then tighten the locknut start engine and check by seeing how the clutch engauges when you put it in gear !

As for the engine performance install a new sparkplug after setting to the correct gap , and add some Sea Foam to your fuel it will clean the entire fuel system ; as well as clean the combustion chamber of excessive carbon deposits that rob the engine of power !

You can find the Sea Foam at any Auto Parts Stores and most WalMart Supercenters , cost about $7.00 plus tax in my area of Ga. ; maybe more or less in your area !

The valves could also be out of specifications and need an adjustment , i would also add that you should change the engine/transmission crankcase oil and oil filter with the proper oil and oil filter ; and drain and refill the front and rear differencial fluids with 80w90 SAE hypoid gear oil !

As for the noise you have when turning corners , you may be feeling the CV joints going bad ; i hope this helps you get a start with getting your quad serviced and running like it should these Honda TRX300FW 4x4's are great quads !........

Trending Topics

Old 08-08-2008, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

you want a clean fuel system. thats fine and all buddie, take that carb off and clean it. while you have the atv apart drain and flush the tank. phew thats diffacult.... lol sorry not being a ***. but its really that simple.
theres no substitute for manually cleaning and polishing jets with 0000 steel wool!
I dont care what chemical you use. it doesnt compare..

me personaly wouldnt ever put sea foam in a atv... a vehical with 3x the surface area inside the engine yea. but not in a atv...

Old 12-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer

If you haven't found out the drivetrain problem yet, jack up the front end and grab the axels and check for movement. I just had the same type of problem and had the noises when making turns and it turned out that my front diffrential was shot! Rebulit it and all is well now!