Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Lightweight Helmets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, since the people over at "ATV RACING" couldn't seem to help.......maybe my fellow Honda riders can.

Im looking to replace my heavy HJC helmet. I ride on a MX track that was designed for bikes, and is a hardcore ride for the quads. So, im tired of pulling neck muscles from my helmet torking my head back and forth on hard landings. I'm looking at the AXO MM Carbon or a Shoei VFX-R. Or what about some of the fiberglass/kevlar ones like the Thor SVS? Im looking for a good helmet as far as saftey goes, as well as something light. What do you know about saftey ratings and or crash tests with carbon,kevlar, or fiberglass helmets?

Thanks for any advise.

PS....money dosn't matter as my head is priceless!

Old 01-30-2001, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really meant what you said in the last line you might check out the Arai Pro. I've been wearing mine almost a year now and it is the lightest, most comfortable one I've ever used. I retired my Shoei a year ago after a head-on with a dirt bike. There was no visible damage to the Shoei but I felt the liner was crushed somewhat.
The Arai is a carbon fiber liner and as such is lighter and stronger than most if not all others, exceeding Snell & DOT requirements, which are only minimum standards anyway. The ventilation is excellent and I hardly know it is on my head. The cost is upwards of $450, so one must be quite fond of his head & the contents of it to pop for this skid lid. Those who won't will often spend that much or more on "go faster" stuff, yet will cheap out on their helmet. Arai has a web site with more info.
I'll send you a photo that shows my Arai on me.