Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Dirt Wheels never gives enough info...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2001, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish just once, they would give more information. In the exhaust shootout, they state that the stock pipe was used as a comparison. I was wondering if they took the lid off and rejetted with the stocker, also. It would seem to me that it would have more air intake and consume more gas with no lid, hence more power. It also would change the dB test considerably. Take your lid off and see how much louder the bike becomes. Granted, it is only about 2dB, but it could make a difference. I also wish they would have tried with airbox lid on for those who ride in wet conditions. Finally, I wish they would have shown hp numbers on the WB with the quietcore insert. When I had my Warrior, I ordered one and it killed the power, but it did make it quieter. And they wonder why 86atc250r and I run stock pipes with internal mods...

Old 02-01-2001, 05:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hak...what type of internal pipe mods do you run with your 400ex? Thanks.

Old 02-02-2001, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Well, basically, the silencer portion is composed of 3 chambers. If you take the end cap off you see into the third chamber. What Honda did was to flow exhaust gasses from the header and go through a tube directly into chamber 2 (middle). They ricochet off the back wall and enter 2 tubes that lead beck up front into chamber 1. After entering chamber 1, it goes through yet another tube all the way back into chamber 3. Then of course, it goes through the endcap and out. What we did was to cut a 2" section out of the intake tube so that it flowed into chamber 1. Then as a result of that, there are now 3 pipes for the gasses to expel from chamber 1. 2 of them into chamber 2, 1 into chamber 3. We then cut a 1.25" hole into the back wall of chamber 2 so that gasses could travel from 2 to 3. Basically, there are now 3 different ways that exhaust can flow from front to back instead of 1. and we lost 2)180 degree turns in the process. I have taken it a step further than Gabe by ordering another endcap and cutting a 1 or 1.25" hole in the center, effectively making the end more like a Pro circuit. It makes it a little louder, but I don't really know how much of a difference the endcap swap will make since the weather is bad and I haven't been able to ride. It is difficult to explain, but I hope it helps.