Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda recon uni filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda recon uni filter

i just got a foam uni air filter for my 05 honda recon. i oiled it with aerosol PJ1 foam air filter oil. do i have to retune anything?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

i jus got the same thing for my 05 honda recon and i didntt have to do nothing, i turned up my idle a lil bit but that was it, you have to get a jet kit when you add hmf exaust though.

would like to know if you have to myself but mines running fine.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

k, thanks. did you have to increase the idle because of the filter? the recon dies out so easily anyways until its hot i was gettin ready to do that as is, lol! how do you increase it? just the throttle linkage near the engine/carb? or do you have to tune the carb needles?

thanks for the help man!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

at the bottom of the carb theres a long skrew, thats your idol speed skrew. clockwise is higher idol speed, counterclockwise is lower idol speed. if its that close to dieing, you may want to adjust your pilot jet 1/4 turn out. ithat usually helps.. o and the pilot jet is the little brass skrew on the front, engine side, of the carb.

hope this helps.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

well, its just the recon in general, the engines will die until they are sufficiently warmed up. im just lazy and its a pain to go back and forth to neutral when it dies at the begginning of the day.
thanks, ill leave as is and if necessary increase idle speed.
i dont wanna mess around with anything i dont have to right now cuz i just got this machine about a month ago and dont know much about it right now, so ill leave the jetting alone for now.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

wow, thats not a good thing to work a cold engine like that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] have fun putting a set of rings in it, just let it warm up for a few minites

Old 11-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big limiting factor as far as air intake goes is the size of the snorkle hole...which is about the size of a quarter. But, besides the new filter, you also removed the very restrictive stock canister that goes inside the filter. Also, Honda jets lean at the factory, so you have the potential to make it even leaner, and maybe have gone over the top. Remember...a lean condition means it will run hot, and that will damage the engine!

Personally, I would do some plug tests and be sure I am not do lean!

Warning wth the UNI filters....the cage they give you to go inside the filter has a plastic collar. If the band holding the air filter on is to tight, it will deform the collar and it will take on a taper (this will probably happen over time anyway, no matter what!). So, keep an eye on this, and just plan to replace them every now and then!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2002 recon which is having the same issues, but mine is also fouling plugs very quickly (dry black fouling). Do I need to make my engine run leaner and if so how? Also do I need a hotter plug and does anyone have any suggestions of a good aftermarket plug that fits.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:53 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lazyhunter

I have a 2002 recon which is having the same issues, but mine is also fouling plugs very quickly (dry black fouling). Do I need to make my engine run leaner and if so how? Also do I need a hotter plug and does anyone have any suggestions of a good aftermarket plug that fits.</end quote></div>

Is your air filter clean? Are you at high altitude? Usually when things go wrong (air intake/air filter leak), it makes you lean not rich. You may just need a rejet.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

ya, i know how lean and rich works. ill check the spark plug this weekend. it accelerated MUCH quicker with the new filter on it. i can just barely shift fast enough going 1st thru 4th if it is floored. i went thru 2 or 3 tanks, rode it alot. once it gets heated up, it will idle for forever and runs perfect.

also, im looking for a good spark plug upgrade for both my recon and hawkeye. any suggestions?

Quick Reply: honda recon uni filter