Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon engine will not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon engine will not turn over

2003 Rubicon has had a starting problem from new - turn key to start - hear solenoid click in but engine will not turn over. Seems as though total battery current is being drawn off because GPS goes blank and the clock losses its time. If you try again you get nothing but solenoid click. If you try to pull the starter cord you can't. the engine seems to be seized. Once you pull and pull several times and jerk on the cord will the engine turn. Then the starter will start the engine.
The dealer installed a new starter last spring but now that the cold weather has returned the same problem has returned. It does not happen in warm weather - just cold weather

Old 11-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The quad needs a new camshaft. The decompressor assembly is built into the cam and is bad. Worst part is that it may need a new set of starter brushes also. Seen this quite often on the Rubicons

----- Gimpster -----

Old 11-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

This sounds expensive. It has been like this from new. I should have pushed the dealer to fix it then. Why does it only occur during cold weather?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

Juist a guess but do you have a different battery to try ? I do know a dead cell in a battery will cause problems like this.....yea the honda batterys are about 60.00 ,but a walmart mototcycle batt will work and are about 20.00+-
.you can test the voltage with a multi meter coming from the battery if it shows less than 12 volts (and charging dosent help)its prob a dead cell ..if it shows 12-14 volts its ok
cold weather can defantily affect the battery output

Old 11-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

bump...accedently double posted

Old 11-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

I will load test the battery but I feel it is not the battery because at the time it will not start you can not pull the recoil start - the engine is literally "locked up" and the only way to free it is to jerk real hard on the recoil start several times and it will "free" itself up. The other gentleman mentioned the auto decompression my be a problem - does anyone know if you can manual do a decompress or why the auto decompress does not work in cold weather. Is it something that sticks when the oil is heavy?

Old 11-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer

Rick: I have a 06 Rubi same symptoms. Try this pull battery clean posts, disconnect 2 plugs behind battery put Dielectric Grease in them, clean posts and cables on solenoid, remove and clean GROUNDS on frame and on engine one should be just behind starter. and ground on frame should be just in front of right rear wheel, Read some where a Honda Mechanic said when they spray frame at factory they coat contact of ground with paint, therefore it seems like a dead battery when in reality it's not making good contact. i too had a hard time on recoil starter seemed like it wanted to pull my arm off when I pulled the cord. Hope this helps

Old 11-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

just putting it out there, you can decompress the cylinder by removeing the spark plug. but it sounds like the brushes in the starter motor are ingageing and partially "lock up" the engine. IMO that is why you have trouble pulling the motor. sounds like a battery issue, like everybody els said

Old 11-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the grounding tip Brusier - I will try that too.
How well does your Rubi start in cold weather (if you are in a winter climate). Normally mine cracks and cracks before it will start cold. It is frustrating - I love the machine except for its poor cold starting. I also have a 1986 200 Fourtrax that is still going strong and it will start on the coldest day even with one pull on the recoil.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

good idea- next time it "locks up" I will pull a plug and if it is still "locked up" I will at least know it is not a compression issue - thanks for the idea

Quick Reply: Rubicon engine will not turn over