Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

why all the trash talk on the rincon tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why all the trash talk on the rincon tranny

imo, all atv's are not intended for the same purpose. if the rincon trans doesent fit someones riding style then they should invest in another atv and not trash the ones that dont. i love my 07 rincon and the smooth ride but i dont trash the brute,grizzley,or sportsman. they are good strong machines but may fail where the rincon doesent and vise versa. i say pick what suites you best. but if every one was honest and not speaking out of eago or competition, you have to question anyone who says the rincon or anyother honda is not a good reliable machine. they are all mechanical and any machine can break or fail from time to time reguardless of the manufactuer but i feel you cant honestly dispute honda's track record. plus i like knowing i dont have a belt that will slip or break when im in water. i have heard situations with that happening with all belt drive models atleast once and witnessed some myself especially with the more powerful big bore atvs. so thats why i have a rincon. just more reliable, plain and simple.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure why you are venting, by I haven't figured out why others have such a big problem with the Rincon transmission. I have not been able to put many miles on mine, but don't see posts in here about issues.

I am mostly going to trail ride with mine, so low gear wasn't a big deal for me though I wouldn't mind the option. Anything that can pull a wheelie @ 600lbs must have decent torque/power.

It's a fun machine, I have a hard time staying off the throttle[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Trailblazer

sorry about no explanation. i have checked out several reviews on google and youtube and heard those comments randomly on occasion. i didnt mean to insinuate i heard it on the honda forum. just joined the forum and kind of threw the topic out there for the honda guys (and girls). its just they act as if you have to push it off or somthing like they do on nascar.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, one of the reviews likes everything about the machine except the Tranny. I think he calls it "goofy" or something. Like I said, not many posts with people having problems. I don't worry too much about Honda drive trains. All seem to be very reliable. That's why I buy Honda.

As long it can climb a mountain, I will be fine with it.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Trailblazer

yeah, i think i heard that one too. atv rider magazine or somthing. do you know anyone with a hotcam on a ute. i posted the topic earlier hopeing for some comments

Old 03-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

No, I am not into the Mods other than tires. Sorry i can't help you there.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the issue has ever been "reliability". We don't really see any posts in here about problems with this trans. We do hear lots of suggestions that it needs a low range, however.

My personal problem with it is that it is a needlessly complex solution to the problem of creating an automatic trans. It just isn't an eloquent solution! That, and it doesn't have engine braking at low speed...which is a recipie for disaster where I ride.

Now...along comes the Rancher 420AT. It has a gear-on-gear automatic transmission...and IRS like the Rincon. One magazine review said that the Rincon had the best ride out there...until the AT came along (March issue of QUAD, pg55). Plop that trans in the Rincon, and you have a winner!

Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Trailblazer

yeah. i dont design trannys so i dont have the capacity to say if its too complicated or not. i do wonder if its as simple as it can be though considering the type it is. and if it had a low range with it, would you ever hear criticism at all. i have noticed its first gear is high but besides braking, i havent had it stall or keep it from pulling a load

Old 03-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Everyone that want's a low range has a reason for it. Weather they need it to creep for rockcrawling or just for towing, a low range would bridge the gap. If the rincon would have had a low range there would be one beside my rubi's.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

I don't foresee it having a problem creeping up some rocks with rider/gear, but pulling a load up an incline could be a problem if done all the time. Though the towing capacity is the same as the Rubicon in the Specifications, i believe.

Quick Reply: why all the trash talk on the rincon tranny