Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2004 Rubicon Slipping!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Rubicon Slipping!!

I know this has been done 100 times over but I'd just like some more guidance or ideas. I truly ride an 07 Brute but I came across an old man that had a 2004 Rubicon. Been used on the farm basically not done much with its whole life. But its been sitting for about 6 months to a year. I asked him and he said transmission is junk. He said it runs until it starts to warm up and then slips real bad until it doesnt want to pull. I asked him how much he wanted and he said $500.00 he wanted something new. If the thing was beat up i'd never blinked and eye but its in great shape and if i had to put a trans in I would and could still resell it but I get bits and pieces from forums about orings bad in them and oil pump bad. Any thoughts would be great. i can work on them myself and make most tools I need. Would make a decent second bike too. I'm gonna order a service manual and pick it up this weekend. Guide away. Thanks in advance!!!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

ONE NOTE: The bike starts and runs i seen it i just never let him run it long enough to see the slippage. Takes a minute or so to start slipping! SORRY!!

Old 04-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

bump

Old 04-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

I believe the Rubican has the Hondamatic transmission, you can get a complete tranny and still make money on the quad or use it yourself. I wouldn't bother trying to rebuild it.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by papahouse
I believe the Rubican has the Hondamatic transmission, you can get a complete tranny and still make money on the quad or use it yourself. I wouldn't bother trying to rebuild it.
Yeah, you can get a new one for $1300.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys but I know I can just go get another trans but I wanna tear this down and try to do the repairs without spending that 1300 bucks but I'm trying to get some ideas what failure to look for. I'm not convinced that its just done for. It wouldnt pull itself at all I think its a pressure issue. Thanks though and help greatly appreciated.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by uppercut15
Thanks guys but I know I can just go get another trans but I wanna tear this down and try to do the repairs without spending that 1300 bucks but I'm trying to get some ideas what failure to look for. I'm not convinced that its just done for. It wouldnt pull itself at all I think its a pressure issue. Thanks though and help greatly appreciated.
As fluid warms up it gets thinner= less pressure. Also guy could've used an energy conserving motor oil and ruined it. Will it pull itself in low or ESP?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

When he moved itnever paid attention to what it was in I assume it was in high gear

Old 04-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wouldn't think slipping would be the normal mode of failure, if the trouble was actually in the hydrostat unit its self?

Does it have enough oil in it? It needs to be idled for about 5 minutes and sit for about 2 in order to get an accurate reading (dry sump design).

If the guy ran slick-50, anything with molly or PTFE/teflon, he could have ruined the centrifugal clutch, which wouldn't be too bad of a repair.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

if it has the wrong oil in it it will make it slip to it needs to be honda 10w40 oil holds about 5 qts. if other oil is use it has different Friction modifiers in it making the oil to slick it needs to have specs. of MA it will say on the back of the bottle the engine and trans uses the same oil try changing the oil and filter and see if that helps the problem

Quick Reply: 2004 Rubicon Slipping!!