Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009 | 10:18 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Question gas?

how many miles do you guys get on the 400 honda rancher at i think mine sucks it shows i am getting like 13 miles to a tank????

Old 04-26-2009 | 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

Wow you have some issues! stay off that throttle! LOL JK!

Im willing to bet your float level has issues and your dumping fuel as you ride.

whens the last time you detailed your carb? clean everything, polish those jets inside and out with 0000 steel wool. and chem dip the body and bowl. For atleast 45mins to soften everything then blow it all out with compressed air.

Old 04-27-2009 | 12:02 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Smile thanks

i will try what you said hope it works will one size bigger tires hurt the gas thing ? again thanks

Old 04-27-2009 | 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

Yess bigger tires will hurt Gas milage. You are effectivly changing your final gear ratio.
But to get 13 miles to tank of gas, Theres no way a simple tire change will hurt MPG that mutch, you have other issues.

Replace your plug, make shure its gapped correctly.
Check your float level. As stated your probly dumping fuel as you ride over bumps. Does the bike EVER leak fuel? will it drop even a tiny amount if left sitting for a few hours days with the fuel on? If so your float is out of spec. and allowing the bowl to over fill. This will also hurt MPG.

Has anyone EVER been inside that carb or is it factory fresh?
Reason I ask is someone might have jetted the bike Rich. and your now suffering..
1: Have someone ride behind you. While you floor it. Tell them to watch for smoke. If you get black smoke your way rich and there is your gas problem.
You may even beable to just rev the bike while parked and watch the exhaust for smoke.

Also your plug will be BLACK and probly wet when you pull it.
2: Start the bike. warm it up completly.
press throttle to max for just a sec the kill it with the key or kill switch...
Pull plug and look at it... is it black and wet?

If so buy new plug and start jetting. Buy cheap plugs while jetting. No need for these iridium BS plugs. they are just another way for the man to take your cash.

If its wet. drop atleast 4 sizes immediatly on your main then work 2 sizes at a time.. If its dry and just black start with 2 sizes.

Ride bike Check for black smoke and or best way is plug color..
Recheck step 2:
Continue jetting down 2 sizes at a time until you get a nice tan color.
If you ride in Hot or very dry climates. you will want to stay on the richer side of Tan.. more of a brown color. This will enshure you will not detonate under heavy loads and during extreme heat.

But always run good fuel.

Lesson over.. Do the above and report back.

Old 05-02-2009 | 03:21 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Arrow gas

it doesnone of the things posted and runsfine dont thinkanyone has jetted it maybeitcould be the gauge reading wrong??? thanks forthe replies

Old 05-02-2009 | 03:55 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I never seen a ATV gas gauge worth looking at, 13 miles to a tank is not bad as long as your tank is only 1/2 gallon large.

Old 05-02-2009 | 04:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd suggest resetting a trip meter and running it from full until it hits reserve...

Old 05-03-2009 | 09:38 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

One time high for our Rubicon was just over 27 mpg and the low was about 6.5 mpg. That was a 60 3 mile ride on a nice groomed trial from Big Springs ID into West Yellowstone and back.

Our daughter rode a 1983 Suzuki 125 and used 1 gallon to travel the same 63 miles.

The low was in Jan, in Wyoming, 2 degrees F and in about 14" of snow and was under 6 mpg. The odometer showed that we traveled 36 miles bit we actually only went about 12 so the tires rotated on the average 3 times for every one time had the ground been dry. Low range WOT alomost the entire ride.

We probably average somewhere around 16-18 mpg.

Old 05-03-2009 | 09:42 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Stick a tree branch down the gas tank hole every other 20 miles or so, it the only sure way to know.