Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

A call to arms, of sorts.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A call to arms, of sorts.

So while doing searches for supermoto quads I came across this website. While browsing this site, I noticed at least 75 posts regarding street legal ATVs. There is clearly enough of an interest in this community to legalize ATVs on the street. I'm not talking being allowed to cross roads when going trail to trail, or only on secondary roads. I'm talking about being able to use your quad as your primary source of transportation. This is becoming HUGE in Europe, search youtube. I know several states have legalized the use of ATVs on the street, and I feel using this information, the current situation of our economy this could be our time to make a change. My thought is if we all organize, and start contacting our state representitives and congressman, I see this a reality. I don't know where to begin, but I'm willing to take suggestions and see if we can't make this a reality! What do you all think?

Old 05-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I know it is done on a town by town basis in areas that have many miles of trails so that people can come down into towns to eat, sleep, and gas up. I know there are towns in Utah, and other areas. It is even being talked about in NH in the northeast part of the country where a new ATV park is being constructed in Berlin, NH. I think it makes most sense to build out from quad friendly towns. How to go about it??? I don't really know.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

I wish I could take it 3 miles to my job just north of chicago. Would put the stock wheels and tires back on and go.... I am considering a scooter b/c that is legal. I think the ATV would be safer.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Plus, the cops use them around here. Why can't I????

Old 05-04-2009, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

it is legal in some parts of missouri too.you just have to buy a sticker.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would make since, just install the required road safety equipment, turn signals, horn.... etc. and it would be the same as a four wheeled motorcycle. Just restrict them to surface streets. I think this would be very economical. Not to mention the boost to atv tire suppliers, (whole new line of street tires)

Old 05-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The problem in Calif. is that you can't even retrofit a dirt bike anymore to make it dual-sport. It has to come street legal from the factory with all the smog stuff and everything, so I sure don't see them letting us retrofit a quad. Would it be worth it for a manufacturer to offer an out-of-the-box street legal version, and try to get the legislature to approve it?????? Is that 3-wheel Can-Am thing really just the same idea....just that there is nothing even slightly off-road about that thing. You don't even need a motorcycle endorsement to ride one of those.

I have recently realized how much sense it makes to have a dual-sport motorcycle!!! KTM and others have shown us that a bike can be both street legal and off-road worthy at the same time, and doesn't necessarily have to be totally detuned and loaded down with a bunch of emissions equipment. I hope other manufacturers will see the light!

As for me, I don't see myself purchasing anything in the future that doesn't have a license plate on it!!!

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Several states have street legal ATVs........ this all falls on each individual states and sometimes towns.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

In Indiana if your machine is registered than you have free use of country roads but must take turns at 90 degree angles and on public roads they can be made street legal.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I suppose it does fall on each state. I don't understand how AZ can allow it but TX or NY does not. Is it less dangerous to operate an ATV on city streets in AZ then it is in Oh? I've had motorcycles and feel a bit exposed on them on the streets, I've lost a good friend to a tragic motorcycle accident, and have recently sold my last street bike. It may be a false sense of safety, but I suppose I would feel safer on a quad on the streets than I did on a motorcycle. Does anyone have or know where I can find the statistics involving accidents with ATV's on the streets vs. motorcycles in AZ or any other state that allows ATVs on city streets? Beyond that, I can gaurantee it would be far more economical than my truck!
I suppose all I can do is try and put together a strong, well thought out argument and pose it to my congressman, state representitive, or state senator. I don't know if it will do any good, kinda need a large corp with HUGE pockets to get anything done in government anymore! Again, any advise would be appreciated!

Quick Reply: A call to arms, of sorts.